Puerto Ricoís Indoor Air Quality Experts Provide Advice for a Healthy Home
Zimmetry Environmental offers indoor environmental quality testing services to identify, resolve and prevent exposure to pollutants and pathogens.
These services not only identify potential exposure risks, but also provide solutions to resolve any issues that our experts may find.
A personís home is their sanctuary and regardless of whether itís mansion or an average-sized single family home, condo, duplex or apartment, it should provide a healthy indoor environment.† Unfortunately, this is not always the case.† Many homes have indoor pollutants that could cause health concerns or aggravate a family memberís existing medical conditions.
These pollutants could be coming from chemicals, gases, microorganisms and other sources.† According to the U.S. Environmental Protections Agency (EPA), ďSome pollutants cause health problems such as sore eyes, burning in the nose and throat, headaches, or fatigue. Other pollutants cause or worsen allergies, respiratory illnesses (such as asthma), heart disease, cancer, and other serious long-term conditions. Sometimes individual pollutants at high concentrations, such as carbon monoxide, cause death.Ē
There are a number of common indoor pollutants that people should be aware of so that they can prevent or minimize exposure risks.† They include the following:
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs), such as formaldehyde, are chemicals found in some household products, building materials and furnishings. VOCs evaporate into the air by off-gassing from materials.
- Combustion pollutants are gases or particles that come from burning materials. In homes, the major source of combustion pollutants are improperly vented or unvented fuel-burning appliances such as space heaters, woodstoves, gas stoves, water heaters, dryers and fireplaces. Common combustion pollutants include carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2).
- Radon is a radioactive gas that is formed in the soil and can enter indoors through cracks and openings in floors and walls that are in contact with the ground.† It is a leading cause of lung cancer among nonsmokers.
- Secondhand smoke comes from burning tobacco products and can cause cancer and serious respiratory illnesses.
- Lead-based paints are still a problem in many older properties and as these paints age and deteriorate or are disturbed, they can release dusts contaminated with lead into the air.
- Asbestos is another potential issue as it was used in the past in many common building materials.† It too can become airborne as it ages or is disturbed.
- Mold thrives in conditions with high humidity or due to water damage.† In fact, mold can begin to grow in as short as 48 hours on many materials when conditions are suitable.†
- Additional common indoor pollutants and allergens can come from dust mites, pet dander, pollen, cockroaches and rodents.
ďFor people living in Puerto Rico and across the Caribbean, Zimmetry Environmental offers comprehensive testing and inspection services to help ensure that people are not being exposed to these types of pollutants, pathogens, irritants and allergens,Ē said Harry Pena, President of Zimmetry Environmental.† ďThese services not only identify potential exposure risks, but also provide solutions to resolve any issues that our experts may find.Ē
Zimmetry recently sponsored a video about the importance of a homeís air quality and peopleís well-being that can be seen at: http://youtu.be/toEDGaHUAWk
To learn more about Zimmetry Environmental and their indoor environmental quality and compliance testing and consulting services, please visit www.zimmetry.com, call (787) 995.0005 or email email@example.com .
About Zimmetry Environmental
Since 2002, Zimmetry Environmental has been providing environmental consulting services to building owners and managers, architects, engineers, EHS professionals and Fortune 500 companies.† The company is based in Puerto Rico and provides services across the Caribbean and Central America.† The professionals at Zimmetry offer environmental compliance, indoor air quality, asbestos, lead-based paint, Phase I ESAs and general environmental consulting services.
- Contact Information
- Paul Cochrane
- Cochrane & Associates, LLC
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.