Mold Forces Residents Out of San Jose Apartment Complex
Last month, KTVU investigated reports of mold from tenants of a San Jose apartment complex. According to the article, one couple described finding mold in their unit beginning last year. They reportedly had mold growing on everything from their clothes to their furniture. The couple was eventually moved out of their apartment by property management so that it could be remediated.
KTVU’s 2 Investigates’ team hired an inspector to test for mold after the now empty unit had been repaired. Their results found mold levels inside the apartment were still five times greater than outdoor air samples. The complex managers have now reportedly agreed to perform additional cleaning and remediation efforts in the unit.
It doesn’t take much for mold to begin to grow indoors. High humidity levels, lack of ventilation, plumbing leaks, exterior leaks and flooding events can allow for the growth of mold in as short as 48 hours in some circumstances. Failure to remove moisture quickly can allow time for a small problem to quickly escalate. Along with mold, high humidity levels can also allow for the explosive growth of dust mites, a known allergen and asthma trigger.
“Elevated levels of mold can not only ruin belongings and decrease a property’s value, but it can also cause a range of health concerns for building occupants,” said Jason Dobranic, Ph.D., Vice President of Microbiology and Life Sciences at LA Testing and EMSL Analytical, Inc. “The presence of mold can lead to allergies and trigger asthma in some people. In addition, mold can cause hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP), expose people to mycotoxins and even cause serious infections in some people with a weakened immune system.”
LA Testing provides a complete array of sampling supplies, testing services and test kits to identify elevated levels of mold, allergens, asthma triggers and other indoor air quality pollutants. These services are available to tenants, property managers and owners, and others to quickly determine if there is a problem. Testing is also essential after repairs and cleanup has taken place to ensure any problems have been properly resolved.
LA Testing recently sponsored an online video about health issues that can be caused by breathing mold that can be seen at: http://youtu.be/61eTg1WfJHo.
To learn more about testing for mold or other IAQ issues, please visit www.LATesting.com, email info@LATesting.com or call (800) 755-1794.
About LA Testing
LA Testing is California’s leading laboratory for indoor air quality testing of asbestos, mold, lead, VOCs, formaldehyde, soot, char, ash and smoke damage, particulates and other chemicals. In addition, LA Testing offers a full range of air sampling and investigative equipment to professionals and the general public. LA Testing maintains an extensive list of accreditations including: AIHA LAP LLC., AIHA ELLAP, AIHA EMLAP and AIHA IHLAP, CDC ELITE, NVLAP, State of California, State of Hawaii Department of Health and other states. LA Testing, along with the EMSL Analytical, Inc. network, has multiple laboratories throughout California including South Pasadena, Garden Grove, San Leandro and San Diego.
( Press Release Image: http://photos.webwire.com/prmedia/9645/198144/198144-1.jpg )
- Contact Information
- Joseph Frasca
- Senior Vice President of Marketing
- LA Testing
- (1) (856) 303-2503
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.