Nation’s Leading Public Adjusters offer Tips to Prevent Water Damage as Families take Spring Break Vacations
Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters helps clients to obtain the most comprehensive settlements for water damage and other insured property claims.
Water damage is one of the most common reasons for an insurance claim and when it occurs with no one home, a small water damaging event can quickly escalate into a major claim.
Each year in March and April, millions of Americans take a break from their daily routines to enjoy time with family and friends during spring break trips. Unfortunately, few things can turn a dream vacation into a nightmare as quickly as coming back to a water damaged home or business.
Water damage is one of the most common reasons for an insurance claim and when it occurs with no one home, a small water damaging event can quickly escalate into a major claim. There are however steps that can be taken to minimize the risk of a water damaging event from occurring during a spring break vacation. For example, before leaving:
• Check the home for any existing leaks.
• Consider shutting off the water main to the home. If this cannot be done because of an automatic sprinkler system or other reason, shut off the valves to major appliances within the home.
• If the property has a well, consider shutting off the pump.
• Check gutters and downspouts for damage and any debris that may be causing obstructions.
• If the property has a sump pump, be sure it is in working order.
• When traveling during freezing weather, be sure the heating system is operating properly and that any exposed pipes are insulated. It is also a good idea to drain pipes if the water has been shut off by running water faucets and flushing the toilets.
• Ask a family member or friend to periodically check on the property and be sure they know where the water main shut off valve is located.
“If water damage does occur while people have been away on vacation, it is important to understand that the introduction of water or elevated humidity levels, in addition to causing damage to materials, can also cause the growth of mold in as short as 24 to 48 hours,” said Douglas Waldie, President of Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters, LLC. “As public adjusters, we get involved in water damage cases all the time that involve properties where the owners and tenants have been away on vacation or business travel. We hope these tips help to prevent water damage this spring break season.”
Hudson Douglas represents only the insured and never insurance companies. This fact, along with their comprehensive experience in the property damage, construction and the restoration industries, means their customers will get a fair settlement value to properly repair their property when damage occurs.
To learn more about how the licensed public adjusters at Hudson Douglas can professionally settle insured property claims quickly and for the fair maximum value, please visit www.HudsonDouglasPublicAdjusters.com, email claims@HudsonDouglas.com or call (800) 898-4290.
About Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters, LLC
With more than 50 years of experience in the construction and disaster restoration industries, the founders of Hudson Douglas Public Adjusters provide policy holders with professional representation to efficiently manage and settle insured claims. Hudson Douglas’s public adjusters are licensed to offer these services to residential and commercial customers in Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
( Press Release Image: http://photos.webwire.com/prmedia/12710/196609/196609-1.jpg )
- Contact Information
- Paul Cochrane
- Cochrane & Associates, LLC
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.