Siemens to equip Kabul with a W-CDMA network
Munich, Aug 17, 2006 - The Siemens Communications Group has been awarded a contract by Telephone Systems International Ltd. (TSI), New York, to set up a W-CDMA network in Kabul for Afghan Wireless Communication Company (AWCC). In addition to 3G technology, Siemens will also supply 2G equipment to the mobile operator in Afghanistan.
Around 1.5 million people use mobile telephony in Afghanistan, a market penetration of about four percent. “Using the new wireless technology we will be able to connect more people to the communications network in Afghanistan – quickly and easily,” said Dan Florentine, Chief Financial Officer of TSI. “In addition to voice communications, we want to deliver mobile internet access and mobile TV to our customers over the 3G network.”
AWCC was the country’s first GSM network provider and the first mobile carrier in Af-ghanistan with a W-CDMA license.
Telephone Systems International Ltd.
TSI is the 80% shareholder of Afghan Wireless Communication Company (AWCC), with the Afghan Ministry of Communications the remaining 20% shareholder. AWCC reaches over 50 major cities throug-hout Afghanistan.
The Siemens Communications Group is one of the largest players in the global telecommunications industry. The company offers a full-line portfolio of innovative solutions for voice and data communication. Its comprehensive offerings range from devices right through to complex network infrastructures and services for wireless, fixed and enterprise networks. It is the largest Group within the Siemens organiza-tion and operates in more than 160 countries around the world. In fiscal 2005 (September 30), its 54,500-strong workforce posted sales of over 13 billion euros.
More about Siemens Communications at
Information Number: COM MN 2006 08.05 e
- Contact Information
- Monika Brücklmeier
- Press Office Communications
- Siemens Communications
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.