Materion Gold Products Validated as Conflict-Free

Qualified For Posting to the CFS Smelter List


Buffalo, New York – WEBWIRE – Thursday, March 13, 2014

“All of our gold products are conflict-free,” confirmed Don Klimkowicz, President of Materion Advanced Materials Group, a Materion Corporation (NYSE:MTRN) business. “We are proud of our long history of social and environmental accountability and our qualification as a Certified Conflict-Free Gold Refiner.”

In manufacturing its sputtering targets, evaporation materials and other products, Materion Advanced Materials Group has a long established practice of using 80% of the gold from its own reclaim and recycled facilities and the remaining 20% sourced from suppliers who have been validated as conflict-free under the requirements of the Conflict-Free Sourcing Initiative (CFSI). 

In October 2013, Materion’s Buffalo, NY facility was successfully evaluated by the Audit Review Committee of the Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition (EICC) and the Global e-Sustainability Initiative (GeSI) and qualified for listing to the Conflict-Free Smelter (CFS) listing as a compliant Gold Refiner. This commits Materion to the CFS Gold Supply Chain Transparency Audit Protocol standards for which they need to re-certify annually. 

Conflict-Free Products
Materion has established a conflict-free mineral policy that ensures that its products comply with the due diligence and reporting requirements of the U.S. Securities & Exchange (SEC) rule under the Conflict Minerals Rule (Section 1502 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform & Consumer Protection Act).  With more than 100 years of experience in refining precious metals, Materion is committed to responsible stewardship and the use of conflict-free minerals in all its products.

Promoting Human Rights
The goal of CFS certification is to eradicate human rights abuses occurring in the Democratic Republic of Congo and nearby areas by discouraging the purchase and use of conflict minerals  mined at sites under the control of violent militias. By cutting off activities that will directly or indirectly finance or benefit armed groups, it is intended that these abuses can be eliminated.

The Conflict-Free Smelter Program is a global initiative developed by EICC and GeSi to provide a credible means for corporations to substantiate responsible sourcing.  To qualify for conflict- free status, a company goes through a rigorous evaluation by a third-party who evaluates their smelter and refiner procurement activities and verifies that relevant materials are obtained from conflict-free sources.



WebWireID186144




 
 conflict-free
 gold products
 cfs certification
 gold refiner
 precious metals
Contact Information
Susan Doughtie
Marketing Communications Specialist
Materion
Contact via E-mail


This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.

News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.