Alcatel-Lucent IP technology to provide key pillar of the world’s largest 4G LTE network being launched by China Mobile
Innovative Evolved Packet Core to support a quarter of China Mobile’s nationwide 4G LTE build-out
Paris - Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and China Mobile have today announced that Alcatel-Lucent’s all-IP Evolved Packet Core portfolio has been selected to support the nationwide rollout of China Mobile’s 4G LTE network, set to be the world’s largest mobile ultra-broadband network.
The Alcatel-Lucent Evolved Packet Core (EPC) is a high-capacity IP solution that sits at the heart of a mobile network. Consisting of the three platforms – data, mobility and policy – it provides an essential link between the end user and the scope of mobile communications they might wish to make use of.
China Mobile has awarded Alcatel-Lucent 24 percent of its overall EPC network, making Alcatel-Lucent the primary EPC supplier for the entire 4G LTE network. In September 2013, China Mobile selected Alcatel-Lucent to deploy 11% of their new LTE network, consisting of more than 200,000 TD-LTE base stations, by the end of 2013.
China is now the world’s largest market for mobile data services and smartphones, increasing at a rate of more than 50 percent each year.
• Alcatel-Lucent has been awarded contract covering 24 percent of the Evolved Packet Core netowrk needed by China Mobile to support its nationwide 4G LTE network.
• Under the contract, Alcatel-Lucent will provide a solution consisting of:
• * Alcatel-Lucent 7750 Service Router - Mobile Gateway
* Alcatel-Lucent 9471 Wireless Mobility Manager
• * Alcatel-Lucent 5620 Services Aware Manager (SAM)
• China Mobile (CMCC) has more than 750 million subscribers, which accounts for more than 60 percent of the total mobile subscriptions in the country. CMCC is deploying TD-LTE to help meet the ever-increasing demand for mobile Internet, video and data in the world’s largest smartphone market.
• Alcatel-Lucent’s supply of the Evolved Packet Core to China Mobile underlines the focus of The Shift Plan, the company’s industrial repositioning as a specialist vendor of IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access.
Michel Combes, CEO of Alcatel-Lucent, said: “As China Mobile builds the world’s largest 4G LTE network, Alcatel-Lucent is providing its expertise in IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access, the focus of our Shift Plan. China Mobile’s adoption of LTE network requires needs an architecture that is simpler and flatter than the traditional packet/TDM network. Deploying the Alcatel-Lucent Evolved Packet Core will enable CMCC to offer LTE customers blazingly fast speeds and impressive quality, while driving down the cost of sending information across the network.”
• Blog: What is the Evolved Packet Core and why should you care? external linkhttp://bit.ly/18Hkjaz
• Managing LTE Core Network Signaling Traffic external linkhttp://bit.ly/1dfrKsS
• YouTube video: Getting to the Core of LTE - external linkhttp://bit.ly/1acN92P
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world’s foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012’s Top 50 “World’s Most Innovative Companies”. Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader for Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the company’s mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: external linkhttp://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.