Barclays urges customers to be prepared for severe weather
With storm warnings and flood alerts in place over large parts of the UK and heavy rain expected to cause significant disruption over the weekend, Barclays is offering helpful information and support to customers at risk of being impacted by floods.
Around five million people live in areas at risk of flooding. Barclays is urging home owners and businesses to check the Environment Agency’s website for future flood warnings to minimise disruption should they be affected.
In order to prepare for flooding and severe weather, we suggest initially locating your gas, water and electricity mains are to ensure you can access them and turn them off quickly, as well as placing important personal documents in sealed plastic bags, safe from areas floodwater can reach.
Barclays Business Managers have been put on standby and are ready to work closely with business customers impacted by the floods by providing full support to help get them through any difficulties. A package of assistance is in place offering a capital repayment holiday of up to three months on loans, as well as the option to extend or increase existing overdraft arrangements.
Matthew Carter, Managing Director Barclays Insurance, comments: “It is vital that people are prepared for an increase in severe weather incidents over the next few weeks, winter is most definitely on the way.
“People need to check whether they live in a flood risk area and take all the necessary steps to prepare for the worst. Whilst you cannot prevent floods from occurring, you can make sure you are covered for the damage caused to building and contents through your home insurance policy.”
Barclays Home Insurance customers can also be assured that they are covered as standard for damage caused to the home as a result of storm or flood damage.
Notes to Editors:
For tips on how to prepare for adverse weather conditions, including flooding, please visit http://www.barclays.co.uk/FloodAdvice
If the property suffers flood or damage, customers with a Barclays Home Insurance policy should immediately call 0800 027 9844*, for assistance with their claim and to get advice on how to prevent further damage.
If you need to make a non-urgent claim you can also do this online by visiting https://homeinsurance.barclays.co.uk/claims/
*Lines are open 24/7 for new claims and Monday to Friday 8am-10pm, Saturday 8am-6pm and Sunday 10am-4pm for existing claims.
What to do before the likelihood of flooding or a storm
* Move furniture, electrical equipment and valuables (including photographs and sentimental items) to upper floors
* If you are in an area prone to floods, prepare by placing sandbags around the perimeter of your property
* Park your car in a garage, or away from large trees
* Secure or lock away loose objects such as garden furniture and ornaments, bikes, children’s toys and ladders
* Fasten all doors and windows
* Check for loose tiles on the roof
* Secure any weak fences and posts to minimise the risk of causing damage to other parts of your property
* Check that aerials or satellite dishes are securely fixed
What to do after the flood or storm if you have experienced damage
* Contact Barclays Home Insurance straightaway on 0800 027 9844*
* We’ll usually send an insurance assessor to look at your home and work out what repairs and replacements are needed and covered by your policy
* We’ll do this as quickly as we can but if a lot of homes have suffered storm or flood damage there may be a delay
The most common types of flood or storm claims
* Roof tiles blown off, often in conjunction with damage to gutters, fascias, etc
* Damaged TV/radio aerials
* Breakage of glass – most often greenhouse glass
* Lifting of roofing felt, particularly on sheds
* Damage to chimneys
* Trees falling down and damaging buildings
* Boundary walls blown down
* Water damage to house and contents
Barclays is a major global financial services provider engaged in personal banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking and wealth and investment management with an extensive international presence in Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia. Barclays’ purpose is to help people achieve their ambitions – in the right way.
With over 300 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 50 countries and employs approximately 140,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide.
For further information about Barclays, please visit our website www.barclays.com.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.