National Archives: Aviation history documents made available for researchers with Finavia’s support
The National Archives Service in Helsinki now has early documents form Finnish Civil Aviation Administration from the 1920s–1970s, available for researchers. The total volume of the material is 40 shelf-metres. Finavia Corp. paid for the costs of obtaining the material.
“Important material related to Finnish aviation history was successfully moved to the National Archives and organised with Finavia’s support. We very much appreciate the company’s input in the project,” says Juhani Tikkanen, sector director at the National Archives.
The material, which was put in order, is now available for everyone interested in aviation history, and provides a wide range of research opportunities.
The material includes administrative and international relations-related documents from the early decades of Finnish civil aviation, as well as documents related to the construction, administration and maintenance of airports and airfields.
The material also covers early documents from Malmi and Helsinki airports.
The documents are connected to the following archives in the VAKKA archive database:
• Archive of the Ministry of Communications Systems and General Work, 1963-1970 (also includes its predecessors, i.e. aviation matters rapporteur 1927-1943 and the Aviation Office 1943-1963)
• Archive of the Aviation Department of the Ministry of Transport and Communications 1970-1972
• Archive of the Airport Department of the Finnish Road and Water Administration, 1937–1972
• Malmi Airport archive, 1936-1972
• Archive of Helsinki Airport 1952-1972
Documents can be ordered at the Rauhankatu researcher room of the National Archives in Helsinki, and later through the Astia online service. Some of the material is public, and some is subject to limitations of use, which means that the material may only be used for acceptable research purposes.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.