School Shut Down After Asbestos Discovered in Concealed Ceiling
EMSL Analytical offers asbestos testing services to help prevent exposure to its potentially deadly fibers.
Cinnaminson, NJ, October 10, 2013
Last month, a junior high school in Rhode Island was closed for several days so that workers could safely remove asbestos from the building. The asbestos was discovered when a ceiling that was being taken down revealed a second concealed ceiling. The hidden ceiling was found to contain asbestos.
Because of the strength and heat resistance of asbestos fibers, it has been used in the past in a wide variety of building construction materials. As the Rhode Island case demonstrates, many times asbestos containing materials may be out of sight.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), asbestos can be found in many products and materials. Some of the many suspect materials include:
- Attic and wall insulation produced containing vermiculite
- Vinyl floor tiles and the backing on vinyl sheet flooring and adhesives
- Roofing and siding shingles
- Textured paint and patching compounds used on wall and ceilings
- Walls and floors around wood-burning stoves protected with asbestos paper, millboard, or cement sheets
- Hot water and steam pipes coated with asbestos material or covered with an asbestos blanket or tape
- Oil and coal furnaces and door gaskets with asbestos insulation
- Heat-resistant fabrics
- Automobile clutches and brakes
“Fortunately the workers at the school knew the signs to look for and had the hidden ceiling tested to determine if asbestos was present before completing the project,” reported Ed Cahill, Vice President, Asbestos Division at EMSL Analytical, one of the largest asbestos testing laboratories in North America. “A quick and affordable test is all it takes to determine if a material contains asbestos. EMSL provides all of the sampling supplies and rapid testing services for these types of scenarios.”
EMSL has sponsored an educational video about asbestos dangers in the home. It can be viewed at:
About EMSL Analytical, Inc.
EMSL Analytical is a nationally recognized and locally focused provider of environmental, indoor air quality and materials testing services and products to professionals and the general public. The company has an extensive list of accreditations from leading organizations as well as state and federal regulating bodies.
- Contact Information
- Joseph Frasca
- Senior Vice President of Marketing
- EMSL Analytical
- (1) 1-800-220-3675
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.