Discovery Communications Debuts "Animalist," a New Animal-Focused Online Video Network
-- Discovery’s Newest Digital Offering Launches with 7M Monthly Streams --
-- Jackson Galaxy of Animal Planet’s MY CAT FROM HELL to Debut New Show Online --
(San Francisco, Ca.) Discovery Communications announces the debut of Animalist, a new online video network celebrating the incredible connection between humans and animals as only Discovery can. The latest offering from the home of Revision3, TestTube and SourceFed, Animalist launches with a robust slate of 15 short-form series that highlight the entirety of the animal kingdom – all available at Animalist.com, and across mobile, YouTube, Xbox and in conjunction with additional distribution partners.
“The launch of Animalist is another step forward in Discovery’s journey to both ignite audiences’ curiosity and fuel our mission to be the #1 nonfiction video and media company on all screens,” said Sean Atkins Senior Vice President, Digital Networks and Commerce, Discovery Communications. “Much more than just viral pet videos, we’ve created a broader home for the best animal-centric video online. With more than 600 hours of original content across our digital platforms, Discovery is leading the way in reaching new audiences, and building passionate communities online.”
Animalist offers original, short-form digital programming that explores the powerful connection between humans and animals through content as ferocious and innocent as the network’s stars.
Debuting with seven million monthly streams, Animalist’s mix of short-form original content is comprised of series exploring both the wild kingdom and, closer to home, the wild world of pets. The programming lineup includes several new shows, such as Discovery Sharks and Animals with Low Self Esteem, which leverage Discovery’s incredible library of nature and animal footage more than 25 years in the making, and also is designed to complement and support the growth of Discovery’s TV audiences. In addition, Animalist’s unique position and built-in native ad offerings allow advertisers and partners to join the mix in organic and engaging ways.
Animalist brings together a wide variety of talent, from the Internet’s most famous felines to established animal experts.Jackson Galaxy of Animal Planet’s My Cat From Hell will headline a new show set to launch later this year. And, in an industry first, Animalist is introducing the “Cat Pack,” original shows featuring the biggest cat celebrities – including Lil BUB’s Big SHOW, featuring the ever-adorable Lil BUB, a brand new show featuring Colonel Meow, Cole the Black Cat and more to come.
Animalist’s programming slate includes:
• Lil’ BUB’s Big SHOW: The Internet’s biggest cat sensation takes the stage with a weekly talk show with guests ranging from hamsters…to Whoopi Goldberg!
• Animalist News: Hosted by YouTube sensation Alex Farnham, the biggest animal stories are delivered with humor, wit and a distinctive twist through daily breaking news and studio and field reports.
• Petopia: The first and last stop when it comes to pet product reviews, with expert tech reviewer Sarah Lane as viewers’ guide.
• Colonel Meow Show: Weekly narrative shorts detailing Colonel Meow’s struggling plans to take over the world, no thanks to his roommate, Boots the Dog.
• Zoochosis World News: A weekly biting satire reporting current news stories about humans as visualized through footage of wild animals.
• Animal Take Downs with Tay Zonday: Tay Zonday’s sultry “Chocolate Rain” voice married with footage of animals engaged in their predatory dance to the end.
• Discovery Sharks: What results when you pair amazing HD footage mined from Discovery’s vast library of shark content to epic music? Jawsome videos.
• Big Cat Rescue: A weekly inspiring, educational and up-close look at the 100+ feline residents of the nation’s largest big cat rescue sanctuary in Tampa, Florida.
• Petsami: A daily, adorable fix of hilarious, amazing and totally viral animal videos!
• Cole the Black Cat: Bent on ending the negative stigma surrounding black cats, Cole and his playful personality take on a new cat toy every week.
• Animals with Low Self Esteem: Every week, depressed animals comically lament their physical traits until a closing song lifts their spirits.
• Truther Cats: A weekly show where the Truther Cat satirically explores a new conspiratorial truth at play in the animal kingdom. Who is the “Truther Cat?”
• All Time Animals: Weekly list show highlighting the fascinating science behind our favorite animals.
“Cats riding donkeys defined the early days of animal videos on the ‘net but today’s viewers want much more, and we’re bringing it to them with Animalist,” added Jim Louderback, head of Discovery Digital Networks, part of Discovery’s Digital Networks and Studios division. “Whether you identify with an animal’s instinctive nature – to hunt and fight for territory, or you identify with that innocent and trusting relationship between us and them, our addictive slate of shows will make you laugh, make you cry and make you smarter.”
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world’s #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than 2 billion cumulative subscribers in over 220 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through more than 190 worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Investigation Discovery, as well as U.S. joint venture networks OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, The Hub and 3net, the first 24-hour 3D network. Across the Nordic region, Discovery owns and operates SBS Discovery Media, a top-three portfolio of television brands that feature leading nonfiction content, as well as locally produced entertainment programs, sports and the best scripted series and movies from major studios. Discovery also owns Discovery Education, the leading provider of educational content and services to schools including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, and owns and operates a diversified portfolio of digital media services, including Revision3. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.