Celebrity Runners Add Meaning to Their Miles for the 2013 ING New York City Marathon
Many marathon veterans include Global Maternal Health Advocate Christy Turlington Burns, actor Patrick Wilson, and culinary masterminds Joe Bastianich and Richard Blais
Previously announced runners include animal rights/environmental activist Pamela Anderson, Olympic swimming gold medalist Summer Sanders, and well-known author and TV personality Bill Rancic
New York — Celebrities will sparkle at the ING New York City Marathon on Sunday, November 3, and many of these participants will be running on behalf of meaningful causes. Several of the celebrity runners for this year’s race are marathon veterans, including Every Mother Counts founder Christy Turlington Burns, actor Patrick Wilson, restaurateur Joe Bastianich, and author Richard Blais. Those new to this year’s field and previously announced include actress Pamela Anderson, Olympic swimming gold medalist Summer Sanders, and entrepreneur Bill Rancic, who is running on behalf of TIMEX, it was announced today by New York Road Runners president and CEO Mary Wittenberg.
“We always look forward to having our celebrity runners be a part of the ING New York City Marathon,” said Wittenberg. “Like thousands of our runners, they are adding meaning to their miles by raising awareness and funds for special causes close to their hearts. Star power helps spread the story of the power of the Marathon, and the benefits of running. Each of these notable participants are admirable advocates of healthy living, and exhibit a refreshing sense of determination to take on the ultimate challenge of 26.2 miles.”
These familiar faces will be mixed in with some 48,000 participants expected for this year’s race. Some of these runners are familiar with fierce competition, like Summer Sanders, who says, “I am thrilled to be back at the ING New York City Marathon, as the energy throughout the 26.2 miles is like nothing else. I lived in New York City for eight years and still love this city—this is such a great reason to come back and to soak it up.”
Celebrity Participants/Notable Runners and Charity Affiliations:
• Stephanie Abrams, on-camera meteorologist, The Weather Channel
• Pamela Anderson, animal rights/environmental activist and actor (J/P HRO)
• Joe Bastianich, restaurateur, judge on Master Chef
• Michelle Beadle, host of NBCSN’s Crossover and correspondent on NBC’s Access Hollywood (ASPCA)
• Richard Blais, chef, restaurateur, author, and television personality (Alliance for a Healthier Generation)
• Brett Claywell, Actor, One Tree Hill, One Life to Live (Grassroot Soccer)
• Dean Karnazes, ultramarathoner who ran 50 marathons in 50 states on 50 consecutive days, finishing with the ING New York City Marathon in 3:00:30 (Action for Healthy Kids)
• Nick Kypreos, former New York Rangers player and 1994 Stanley Cup Champion, hockey analyst on Canada’s Sportsnet
• Carol Mead, First lady of Wyoming (Remember the 8)
• Fredrik Normark, Ninja, The Hives (Team for Kids)
• Sarah Reinertsen, American challenged athlete, first female leg-amputee to complete Ironman® World Championship, CBS Amazing Race star (Challenged Athletes Foundation)
• Bill Rancic, entrepreneur, author, TV personality, and first-ever winner of NBC’s The Apprentice (Fab-U-Wish, running on behalf of TIMEX)
• Summer Sanders, Olympic swimming gold medalist, recreational runner
• Brian Sears, actor in Broadway’s Book of Mormon (Broadway Impact)
• Nick Spangler, winner of Amazing Race Season 2, actor in Rogers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (Broadway Impact)
• Greg T, radio personality, Elvis Duran and the Z100 Morning Show
• Christy Turlington Burns, Global Maternal Health Advocate/Founder of Every Mother Counts (Every Mother Counts)
• Patrick Wilson, actor, The Conjuring, Insidious 2, Young Adult (Michael J. Fox Foundation)
Nationally, the ING New York City Marathon will be presented live on ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes+ from 9:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. EST. The race will also be available via WatchESPN for those who have video subscriptions from affiliated providers. Locally, New Yorkers can watch the race on ABC7 or 7online.com from 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. or via WatchABC on mobile devices. Pre-race features from the start at Fort Wadsworth will begin at 7:00 a.m. Additionally, a national highlights show will air from 4:00–6:00 p.m. on local ABC affiliates. International viewers can watch the broadcast via a live digital stream from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. EST on 7online.com.
Check out On the Run at ontherun.nyrr.org for behind-the-scenes access to the ING New York City Marathon. On the Run is a must-see for runners of all ages and abilities. The program airs at 8:00 p.m. Wednesday through Friday of race week, 5:00 p.m. Saturday, and 10:00 a.m. Monday, and on demand at ontherun.nyrr.org.
For the latest Marathon news, updates, features, and media information, please visit the NYRR online media room at media.nyrr.org or follow us on Twitter @nyrrnews.
About the ING New York City Marathon
NYRR’s premier event, the ING New York City Marathon is the most loved and most inclusive marathon in the world, attracting elite athletes and recreational runners alike for the challenge and thrill of a lifetime. The race has grown tremendously since it began in 1970 with just 127 runners racing four laps of Central Park. Now, some 48,000 participants from all over the globe flock to New York City every November for an adrenaline-filled road tour of all five boroughs, starting on Staten Island at the foot of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and ending in Central Park. Some run for prize money or bragging rights, others for charity or their personal best. All are cheered on by more than two million live spectators and a TV audience of 330 million.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.