Landlords in Maine Required to Conduct Radon Testing by Early 2014
Radon testing from EMSL Analytical identifies this dangerous gas so steps can be implemented to protect building occupants.
Cinnaminson, NJ, September 16, 2013
Recently, it was announced that a new law that requires landlords in Maine to test for radon will go into effect in early 2014. The new law states, “By March 1, 2014 and every 10 years thereafter, a landlord or other person who on behalf of a landlord enters into a lease or tenancy at will agreement for a residential building shall have the air of the residential building tested for the presence of radon. A test required to be performed under this section must be conducted by a person registered with the Department of Health and Human Services pursuant to Title 22, chapter 165.”
Specific details of the new law include:
- Radon tests required under this law must be conducted by a person registered with DHHS to conduct radon tests pursuant to Title 22, chapter 165 (the Maine Radon Registration Act).
- The landlord or lessor of a residential rental property must provide written notice about radon and the results of the required radon testing to each tenant or potential tenant.
- The Department will develop a disclosure statement for landlords or lessors to give to each tenant, which informs the tenant about radon and its risks. This form must be posted on the Department’s radon website.
- The tenant will have to sign an acknowledgment that they have received this disclosure.
- When radon test results show 4 pCi/l or higher radon levels, the landlord or lessor must mitigate those levels within six months, or within six months of obtaining local permits if required in their community.
- Mitigation must be conducted by a person registered with DHHS to conduct radon mitigation pursuant to Title 22, chapter 165 (the Maine Radon Registration Act).
- After mitigation has been successful, the landlord or lessor must provide notice of this to tenants.
One of the largest radon testing laboratories in North America is EMSL Analytical, Inc. The company has a network of laboratories across the United States and Canada, including one in South Portland Maine. EMSL has a website dedicated to providing radon information which can be seen at www.RadonTestingLab.com. EMSL has also sponsored an online educational video about radon that can be viewed at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yOMtXafNwM.
About EMSL Analytical, Inc.
EMSL Analytical is a nationally recognized and locally focused provider of environmental and materials testing services and products to professionals and the general public. The company has an extensive list of accreditations from leading organizations as well as state and federal regulating bodies.
- Contact Information
- Joseph Frasca
- Senior Vice President of Marketing
- EMSL Analytical
- (1) 1-800-220-3675
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.