Zurich creates value for a sustainable future
Zurich addresses relevant environmental, social and governance issues to create and sustain value for its customers, employees, shareholders and communities.
The progress on these activities is reflected in the 2013 United Nations Global Compact report and the Z Zurich Foundation 2012 annual report.
Zurich - Zurich Insurance Group (Zurich) has presented the 2013 United Nations Global Compact report and the Z Zurich Foundationís (the Foundation) 2012 annual report. These reports give insight into some of the ways in which Zurich helped society to better understand and manage the challenges faced.
2013 United Nations Global Compact report
In 2013 Zurich confirmed its commitment to the United Nations Global Compact. The UN Global Compact is a strategic policy initiative for businesses that are committed to aligning their operations and strategies to uphold ten principles related to human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
Highlights from this reporting period
* In March 2013, Zurich announced an up to CHF 21 million five-year alliance with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) to enhance community flood resilience
* Zurich has started to work with its corporate customers to better manage corporate responsibility risks and promote best practices in managing environmental, social and governance risks
* As of December 2012, Zurich exceeded its goal and reduced carbon emissions per employee by 17%
Z Zurich Foundationís 2012 annual report
The Foundationís work demonstrates Zurichís commitment to community investment, one important component of Zurichís overall corporate responsibility strategy. The close alignment between the Foundationís activities and Zurichís business allows Zurich to apply its core competencies to enhance the contribution to society.
In 2012 the Foundation again closely collaborated with select non-profit organizations, such as IFRC, Practical Action, Rainforest Alliance and others, which share Zurichís commitment to help communities better protect themselves against risk and build more resilient, secure livelihoods. The report captures some elements of this work.
Highlights from this reporting period include
* Zurich has committed to invest USD 100million in the Foundation
* The Foundation supported important projects in Africa, Asia and Latin America to enhance community disaster resilience, promote sustainable agriculture and provide disadvantaged communities with access to high quality insurance
* The Foundation pursued activities in building communitiesí resilience to the risks they face by launching Zurichís global flood resilience program and helping to fund local community initiatives For example, in 2012, Zurich Switzerland worked with RoadCross, focusing on road traffic education for young adults and new drivers
Please download the 2013 United Nations Global Compact report and the Z Zurich Foundationís 2012 annual report for additional information about corporate responsibility at Zurich or visit www.zurich.com/corporateresponsibility.
To get instant access to Zurichís news releases, calendar and other corporate publications on your iPad or iPhone please go to your App Store and get the free Zurich Investors and Media App
For broadcast-standard and streaming-quality video and/or high resolution pictures supporting this news release, please visit www.zurich.com/multimedia.
Zurich Insurance Group (Zurich) is a leading multi-line insurance provider with a global network of subsidiaries and offices in Europe, North America, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and the Middle East as well as other markets. It offers a wide range of general insurance and life insurance products and services for individuals, small businesses, mid-sized and large companies as well as multinational corporations. Zurich employs about 60,000 people serving customers in more than 170 countries. The Group, formerly known as Zurich Financial Services Group, is headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, where it was founded in 1872. The holding company, Zurich Insurance Group Ltd (ZURN), is listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange and has a level I American Depositary Receipt (ZURVY) program which is traded over-the-counter on OTCQX. Further information about Zurich is available at www.zurich.com.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.