Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c deployed by CERN to Manage its Oracle Infrastructure
Oracle Technology Increases Efficiency and Enables CERN to Focus on Science
Redwood Shores, Calif.
• Today Oracle Corporation announced that CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, one of the world’s largest and most respected centers for scientific research, has deployed Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c to monitor and manage its Oracle infrastructure including applications, middleware, databases and hardware.
• CERN manages an extensive database infrastructure that is essential to the operation of the laboratory, the accelerators and the detectors as well as to the management of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) metadata. Monitoring key aspects of this infrastructure is the main job of Oracle Enterprise Manager, which is critical to enabling CERN’s database infrastructure to run efficiently.
• With Oracle Enterprise Manager, CERN manages over 3000 targets (amongst which are over 200 Oracle Database targets, over 50 Oracle Real Application Clusters targets and over 200 Oracle WebLogic Server instances), automates lifecycle and configuration management tasks—such as verifying security policies—and provides performance management and tuning of the CERN installation.
• To easily scale out their infrastructure, CERN uses large numbers of commodity servers and exploits virtualization technologies. Oracle Enterprise Manager enables CERN to manage the proliferation of servers—both physical and virtual—efficiently.
• CERN is also using Oracle Enterprise Manager to manage its middleware platform, enabling more rapid and efficient provisioning and deployment of Oracle WebLogic Suite environments. This allows CERN to maximize hardware and management resources.
• Oracle Enterprise Manager is also playing an important role in the monitoring process for CERN custom applications.
• Tony Cass, Database Services Group Leader in the IT department, CERN, said: “As many of our databases are critical for the operation of the accelerators and experiments, reliability is essential. Optimizing our Oracle infrastructure is also important since we have to support increasing amounts of data within fixed budgets. We need to be able to automatically check configuration compliance and proactively manage our environment in order to handle any issues that may arise. Oracle Enterprise Manager monitors the various components within our infrastructure and, by alerting us to any issues before they become a problem, enables us to spend more time providing added value for our users.”
• Sushil Kumar, vice president, Product Strategy and Business Development, Oracle said: “Oracle has a deep and long standing relationship with CERN. CERN’s database infrastructure, with its demanding requirements for IT automation, has been a valuable deployment environment for Oracle Enterprise Manager, resulting in some of our most advanced features which are used by many customers today. Oracle Enterprise Manager is contributing to the organization’s goals of enforcing compliance standards, decreasing the time consumed by daily IT operations and reducing downtime by pro-active monitoring. By helping CERN IT to increase its efficiency, we are allowing CERN to focus more on its prime mission – scientific research.”
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.