AOL to Launch New Video Portal
July 31, 2006, AOL, a leader in live and on-demand entertainment video programming and video search, today announced that it will preview a beta version of its new AOL Video portal later this week. Available for free to anyone on the Web at http://www.aolvideo.com, the new AOL Video is an all-in-one, high-quality entertainment destination to find, watch and share millions of the best videos across the Web.
New features on the AOL® Video portal include: over 45 new video-on-demand content channels with thousands of hours of video programming from popular entertainment brands, organized and accessible via video search, browse, or an interactive programming guide; free streaming content as well as the ability to purchase and download full-length content that can be viewed on multiple devices and PCs, online or offline; and access to millions of music videos, news clips, movie trailers, full length TV shows, and more.
AOL Video also includes AOL® Video Search, which is based on industry leading video search technology from Truveo(TM) and Singingfish, and a video player that can go full screen without losing picture quality and that supports AOL’s exclusive Hi-Q(TM) video format to watch DVD-quality videos online.
In addition, the portal includes AOL’s new UnCut Video offering, which makes it easy to upload and share videos online by providing full device support, letting consumers upload and share videos directly from their camcorder, Webcam, video-enabled mobile phone, as well as their PC.
“AOL has long been a leader in online video and with the new AOL Video portal we have created the best and easiest place online for anyone on the Web to find, watch and share the videos they’re looking for,” said Kevin Conroy, Executive Vice President of AOL. “From originally produced and licensed programming to branded online video-on-demand channels to user-created videos that people create, upload and share on the Web themselves, AOL Video is truly the first one-stop source that brings the best videos on the Web together in one place and gives consumers more choice. If a video is out there, you’ll find it here on AOL Video.com.”
New Video-On-Demand Content Channels and Programming Guide
At the center of the AOL Video portal’s main page will be one of the Web’s first online interactive programming guides (IPG) that brings together free and download-to-own video content from across broadcast and cable television and the Web and organizes it into new, branded video-on-demand channels.
At launch, the AOL Video IPG will feature paid and ad-supported content on more than 45 video-on-demand channels, including many programmed by new video content partners, including: A&E Television Networks (including A&E® Network, The History Channel® and The Biography Channel®), Comedy Time, Endemol USA, Expo TV, LIME, MTV Networks (including COMEDY CENTRAL, Logo, MTV, MTV2, Nickelodeon, The N, Nick at Nite, Spike TV, TV Land and VH1), National Lampoon, Procter & Gamble Productions, Inc., SORPRESA!, South Coast Golf, TBS, TNT, TotalVid, TV Guide, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Wild America and WNBA.
In addition, AOL and its joint venture partners program a variety of additional channels including: In2TV(TM), TMZ.com(TM), Lat34.com, AOL Uncut Video, AOL Music, AOL News, AOL Coaches, AOL Television, AOL Viral Videos, KOL and Moviefone. New video channels and programming from additional partners will be added on an ongoing basis. A complete list and descriptions of channels available at launch is included at the end of the press release.
Powerful Video Search
AOL’s video search engine will be prominently featured on the new portal. AOL Video Search returns results from all of the most active video sources on the Internet, including YouTube, Yahoo! (Yahoo Music, Yahoo News, Yahoo Movies, etc.), Google Video, iFilm, AtomFilms and more. Powered by AOL’s Truveo and Singingfish technologies, the AOL Video Search engine is also able to crawl and index high-quality videos on the Web that traditional search engines are unable to find. AOL’s unique “Visual Crawling” capability automatically discovers video files and related information on complex, dynamic web pages - a task that is a challenge for conventional crawling technologies.
AOL Video Search also has significantly greater reach than any other video search engine on the Web. Through its network of search properties - which includes AOL Search, InfoSpace, Real, and others - AOL Video Search, branded and white-labeled, is available to more users than any other video search product.
Multi-Faceted Distribution Strategy Extends the AOL Video Experience
AOL Video is built on an open technology platform and architecture that will enable AOL to extend the AOL Video experience across platforms and devices to make it easy for users to watch it on multiple screens, including desktops, laptops, large screens (plasma), and handheld devices.
Earlier this year AOL and Intel Corporation announced a joint effort to extend a tailored version of the AOL Video experience to consumers’ living rooms via Intel Viiv technology-based PCs. The companies plan to launch this new “10-foot” experience in the coming weeks, making the content easily viewable on large screen TVs and other devices.
This fall, AOL plans to make available Open APIs that will enable developers to incorporate AOL’s leading Video Search results into third-party user experiences, as well as other tools that will enable developers and consumers to incorporate features from the AOL Video portal for other websites. In addition, AOL is working with PC OEMs and broadband service providers to develop co-branded versions of the AOL Video portal.
The launch of the new AOL Video.com is another example of how AOL has been building upon its online video and video search strategy, including making key acquisitions. Over the last year, these initiatives have included:
* -- The record-breaking global online broadcast of the “Live 8” concerts;
* -- Last year’s launch of its innovative Video Hub destination on AOL.com;
* -- The launch of high-quality video playback through AOL’s exclusive Hi-Q(TM) video format -- AOL.com was the first major portal to offer high-/DVD-quality videos;
* -- Landmark content and original programming agreements that exemplify how AOL is creating a new model for television distribution, such as the Warner Bros. “In2TV” offering, the first on-demand Broadband Television Network with the largest collection of free TV programming anywhere on the Web;
* -- The launch of TMZ.com, the AOL-Telepictures new, on-demand entertainment news network;
* -- AOL’s acquisition of the two foremost video search companies; Truveo in December 2005, a complement to the acquisition of Singingfish in 2003;
* -- A growing index of several million videos, including the most comprehensive coverage of some of the highest quality and most popular video on the Web;
* -- AOL’s investment in and partnership with Brightcove, a Web video distribution pioneer; and
* -- AOL’s acquisition of Lightningcast, a broadband video advertising innovator.
The enhanced AOL Video portal (http://www.aolvideo.com) will be available for beta testing starting later this week. For more information on the beta test, please visit http://www.aolvideo.com, or AOL Beta Central at http://beta.aol.com.
AOL and its subsidiaries operate a leading network of Web brands and the largest Internet access subscription service in the United States. Web brands include the AOL.com® website, AIM®, MapQuest® and Netscape®. AOL offers a range of digital services in the areas of education, safety and security, communications and music. The company also has operations in Europe and Canada. AOL LLC is a majority-owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc. and is based in Dulles, Virginia.
Note: For free video and additional information regarding AOL Video, please log onto www.thenewsmarket.com/aol to make requests. You can receive broadcast-standard video digitally or by tape from this site. Registration and video is free to the media.
New Content Partners & Video-On-Demand Channel Line-Up
As of July 31, 2006 (in alphabetical order)
The AOL Video portal will bring together free and download-to-own video programming from content partners across broadcast and cable television and the Web, organized into new, branded video-on-demand channels.
Channels Programmed by Leading Partners:
* -- A&E Television Networks - From A&E Television Networks’ bouquet of channels, programming from A&E Network, The Biography Channel and The History Channel.
* -- A&E Network - Popular, full length programs real-life and lifestyle series such as “Inked,” “Dog the Bounty Hunter,” “Criss Angel Mindfreak” and “Flip This House.”
* -- The Biography Channel - Programs that showcase compelling stories about the world’s most interesting people in categories including American Icons, Pop Culture & Entertainment, Notorious, Real West and Mysteries of the Bible.
* -- The History Channel - Documentaries, series and specials about everything from ancient history to military history, technology and more, including “Digging for the Truth,” “Modern Marvels” and “Decoding the Past.”
* -- Comedy Time - Everything from stand-up comedy and man on the street segments to original, short-form programs. Stand-up categories include Urban, Latino, Observational, Relationship, Family and Alternative.
* -- Endemol USA - Compelling TV programming from Endemol’s global catalogue including animation, reality and comedy hits such as “The People’s Champions,” “Fear Factor South Africa,” “Fool Around With...My Girlfriend/Boyfriend” and “Anything For Love.”
* -- Expo TV - Product reviews and demonstrations from experts and viewers on a variety of topics including cars, electronics, home and kitchen appliances, parenting gear and much more.
* -- LIME - Videos for those seeking a healthier, greener, more balanced lifestyle including videos from popular Lime television series and documentaries as well as extensive online content from lime.com.
* -- MTV Networks - MTV Networks’ full array of entertainment, comedy and music programming from its COMEDY CENTRAL, LOGO, MTV, MTV2, The N, Nick at Nite, Nickelodeon, Spike TV, TV Land and VH1 brands is available for paid download, including:
* -- COMEDY CENTRAL - Cutting-edge comedy including full-length episodes of “Chappelle’s Show,” the Emmy-award winning “South Park,” “Reno 911!,” “Crank Yankers” and “Mind of Mencia.”
* -- LOGO - Original shows and specials for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) audience including “Noah’s Arc,” and “Wisecrack” stand-up comedy, as well as “Real Momentum” documentaries.
* -- Nickelodeon - A vast library of shows from the number-one entertainment brand for kids including “SpongeBob SquarePants,” “Zoey 101,” “The Fairly OddParents,” “Avatar: The Last Airbender” and “Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius” and many more, as well as Nick Jr.’s preschool favorites including “Dora the Explorer” and “Blue’s Clues.”
* -- The N - Award-winning and original TV shows reflecting the real-life issues teens face every day, including “Degrassi,” “South of Nowhere,” “O’Grady,” and “Beyond the Break.”
* -- Nick at Nite - “Fatherhood,” the animated comedy series based on Bill Cosby’s best-selling book of the same name, and “Hi-Jinks,” hit hidden-camera series where adults play good-natured pranks on kids of all ages.
* -- MTV: MUSIC TELEVISION - Hundreds of episodes including the hit series “Laguna Beach,” “Punk’d,” “My Super Sweet Sixteen,” “Viva La Bam,” “Wildboyz,” “Pimp My Ride,” “The Real World,” and many others.
* -- MTV2 - Compelling and irreverent series such as “Andy Milonakis,” “Chico & Guapo,” “Celebrity Death Match” and “WonderShowzen.”
* -- Spike TV - Series geared to helping men Get More Action, such as “Disorderly Conduct,” “TNA: iMPACT!” “Muscle Car,” and others.
* -- TV Land - “Sit Down Comedy with David Steinberg,” hosted by legendary comedian, producer and director David Steinberg, is a one-on-one comedy forum where celebrated performers including Larry David, Martin Short, Bob Newhart, Jon Lovitz and George Lopez open up about their personal lives.
* -- VH1 - A wide array of VH1’s hit Celebreality series such as “Hogan Knows Best,” “The Surreal Life,” “Breaking Bonaduce,” “My Fair Brady” and others.
* -- National Lampoon - An all-new Internet video channel from the biggest name in comedy. It’s everything you expect from National Lampoon (AMEX:NLN) -- smart, edgy, funny, irreverent, impolite and definitely NOT PC -- and more! All original, all new and all created for the digital world.
* -- Procter & Gamble Productions, Inc. - The company that put the “soap” in soap operas presents the P&G Classic Soaps channel, featuring episodes from “Another World,” “The Edge of Night,” “Search for Tomorrow” and “Texas,” including some available for the first time since they ended their successful runs. In addition, this channel offers original companion content for the contemporary classics “As The World Turns” and “Guiding Light.”
* -- SORPRESA! - Spanish-language children’s programming including “Tienda Magica,” “Cachureos,” and “El Planeta de Remi.”
* -- South Coast Golf - Golf lessons from “Hall of Fame” PGA Tour professionals including Dave Stockton, Ben Crenshaw, Tom Kite and many others.
* -- TBS - A collection of clips from TBS’s top-notch line-up of comedy series, stand-up comedy from the Laugh Factory and the Aspen Comedy Festival, award-winning Department of Humor Analysis shorts and much more.
* -- TNT - TNT original movies, plus special behind-the-scenes extras and interviews from TNT’s hit original series “The Closer,” “Saved” and “Nightmares and Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King.”
* -- TotalVid.com - Video clips covering a variety of enthusiast, educational, and instructional categories, including alternative sports, cooking, home improvement, martial arts, outdoors, self defense, sports instruction and travel.
* -- TV Guide for Broadband - Videos that offer the inside track on entertainment information including celebrity interviews, music videos, and original programs like “InFANity,” which offers behind the scenes footage from TV’s top shows, and “Square Off,” an inside look at the TV industry with hosts Brian Lowry (Variety) and Andy Wallenstein (The Hollywood Reporter).
* -- Warner Bros. Entertainment - Full length episodes of “Dukes of Hazzard,” “Babylon 5,” sketches from “MADtv” and animated shows including “The Flintstones” and “The Jetsons.”
* -- Wild America - The world’s largest film library covering the wildlife and nature of North America.
* -- WNBA - Coverage of the WNBA’s best and brightest games and moments.
Channels Programmed by AOL:
-- AOL UnCut Video - Home videos, comedic clips and other footage created by consumers.
-- AOL Music - Thousands of music videos, exclusive intimate performances, live concerts and hours of artist interviews.
-- AOL News - Hundreds of stories and live breaking news from the AP, Reuters, Extra, ABC, CNN and CBS.
-- AOL Coaches - A digest of the best advice, tips and tools from the leading experts in diet, fitness, wellness, romance, family and money.
-- AOL Viral Videos - A collection of the funniest and most popular clips that everyone is sending around the Web.
-- KOL - Original animated shows including “Princess Natasha” and “Pilar’s Adventures” as well as “KOL’s Saturday Morning Secret Slumber Party on CBS” show clips, Radio KOL videos and KOL Celebrity Videos.
-- Moviefone - Thousands of movie trailers, extended film clips and “Unscripted,” Moviefone.com’s original Web series in which today’s biggest stars and filmmakers interview each other using their own questions and those submitted by fans.
Channels Programmed by AOL and Its Joint Venture Partners:
* -- In2TV - The following In2TV channels feature hundreds of full length episodes of popular television series including:
* -- Dramarama TV - Great dramatic series like “Eight is Enough,” “Falcon Crest,” “Sisters,” “Spenser: for Hire,” and “Scarecrow and Mrs. King.”
* -- Get Real TV - Favorite game show, courtroom and relationship shows such as “Elimidate,” “Change of Heart,” “The People’s Court,” “The Moral Court,” and “The Will.”
* -- Gone But Not Forgotten TV - Critically acclaimed, but prematurely canceled series like “Against the Grain,” “Presidio Med,” “Wanda at Large,” “The George Carlin Show,” “Max Headroom,” and “Jesse.”
* -- Heroes & Horror TV - Sci-fi and horror series including “Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman,” “Babylon 5,” “Freddy’s Nightmares” and “The Adventures of Wonder Woman.”
* -- In2TV en Espanol - This Spanish language version of In2TV features over two dozen popular television series in Spanish that have previously only been seen in their original English broadcast format.
* -- LOL TV - Laugh out loud with comedy favorites like “Welcome Back Kotter,” “Chico and the Man,” “Perfect Strangers,” “Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper,” and “Head of the Class.”
* -- Superman TV - The Man of Steel soars throughout this channel in a documentary film, comic book animation, and television series including the original “The Adventures of Superman,” “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman,” and “Superboy.”
* -- Toontopia TV - Top-rated animation comes to life with “Pinky and the Brain,” “Beetlejuice,” “Freakazoid,” “Histeria!” and “The New Adventures of Batman.”
* -- Vintage TV - Classics like “Growing Pains,” “Alice,” “F Troop,” “Maverick,” and “The F.B.I.”
* -- What a Rush TV - Action-adventure favorites such as “Kung Fu,” “La Femme Nikita,” “The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.,” “The Fugitive,” “Dark Justice,” and more.
* -- Lat34.com - Dynamic and timely video coverage of action sports wherever they occur.
* -- TMZ.com - Exclusive breaking news and video from the world of entertainment and celebrities.
- Contact Information
- Jaymelina Esmele
- AOL LLC
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.