Wild & Crazy Facts About Ireland: New, expanded edition of the world’s most enjoyable book of Irish culture
“The Great Little Book of Fun Things You Probably Don’t Know About Ireland” – the ultimate collection of trivia, historical facts, offbeat Irish new stories, quotes, proverbs and more for Ireland lovers – gets even better.
[Port Washington, NY] -- [May 15, 2013] – How good is your knowledge of Irish culture? This expanded treasure trove of cultural facts is an enjoyable, breezy read that will test your Celtic IQ, with all sorts of factual gems of Ireland’s past and present. Did you know that:
- It’s an old (very old) Irish belief that crossing a running stream at night will separate you from any evil spirits pursuing you.
- There’s more Guinness drunk in Nigeria each year than in Ireland.
- “Gazumphing” is the name of a shady real estate practice in Dublin.
- During the Easter uprising of 1916, all violence ceased two times a day so the ducks in St. Stephen’s Green could be fed.
- The term “painting the town red” is based on the story of the hard-drinking Marquis of Wexford, who splashed red paint all over an English town during a night of partying in the 1800’s.
If you can’t afford to visit Ireland this year, you can still keep your connection to it strong. For less than the cost of an Irish whiskey, you can amuse, entertain and, perhaps, even educate yourself about what makes Ireland tick by curling up with this unique little volume.
Author Robert Sullivan has been collected amusing bits about Irish and Celtic culture ever since the 1970’s, when he visited the remote township in County Kerry where his grandfather grew up. He’s watched it change through the years of the Celtic Tiger and the economic collapse that followed it, but remained fascinated by the Irish viewpoint. No matter how much modernization comes to the country, he says, “nothing has ever stopped the Irish from acting Irish.”
- “The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven’t seen the joke yet.” – Oliver Herford
- If you want an audience start a fight.
- Man is incomplete until he marries. After that, he is finished.
Added features include:
- A list of Irish baby names, explaining where each came from.
- Chapters on Strawboys, Celtic Knots and Shove Tuesday.
This is no dusty old history volume. “The Great Little Book of Fun Things You Probably Don’t Know About Ireland” is the fun way to get a deeper understanding of all things Irish, and wear a smile on your face while you do it!
- Contact Information
- Robert Sullivan
- Irish Letter
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.