ASM International N.V. reports Fourth Quarter 2012 and Full Year 2012 Operating Results
ALMERE, The Netherlands - ASM International N.V. (NASDAQ: ASMI and Euronext Amsterdam: ASM) reports today its fourth quarter 2012 and full year 2012 (unaudited) operating results in accordance with US GAAP.
• Net sales for the fourth quarter 2012 were EUR 320 million, a decrease of 22% quarter-to-quarter and 9% year-on-year. Net sales of our Front-end segment decreased 3% quarter-to-quarter, completely driven by currencies. Back-end sales decreased by 28% (excluding currency impact 25%).
• Result from operations for Q4 2012 was EUR (4) million. Result from operations in Q3 2012 was EUR 32 million while Q4 of 2011 showed a profit of EUR 19 million.
- The Front-end segment’s operating profit was EUR 1.2 million compared to a loss of EUR 1.6 million quarter-to-quarter. Q4 2011 showed an operating profit of EUR 9.5 million;
- The Back-end segment operating loss was EUR 5.3 million compared to a profit of EUR 33.6 million quarter-to-quarter. Q4 2011 showed an operating profit of EUR 9.5 million.
• Fourth quarter 2012 net earnings were EUR (22) million compared to net earnings of EUR 5 million for the third quarter of 2012 and EUR 15 million for the fourth quarter of 2012
• Book to bill in the fourth quarter of 2012 was 1.0. For the Front-end, the book to bill was 1.4, and for the Back-end segment 0.8. The Backlog compared to the end of the third quarter 2012, remained stable at EUR 289 million.
• Soft call on €150 million convertible bond took place in November. Further deleveraging ASM International by making the Front-end business debt free.
Commenting on the results, Chuck del Prado, President and Chief Executive Officer of ASM International, said:
"Front-end results came in stronger than expected. Our Front-end sales, on a currency comparable level, showed a stable development quarter on quarter. Our Front-end gross margin improved strongly, mainly due to a better mix. Also our Front-end order intake was strong with 129 million euro. Our Back-end operation in Q4 experienced a much lower activity level. This in combination with a weak mix, led to a low gross margin percentage and an operating loss. Back-end order intake was 191 million euro, approximately 10% lower than Q3, as expected.
To the forthcoming AGM we will propose a dividend of €0.50 cent per common share, equal to last year"
Sales in the Front-end are expected to show a double digit decline in Q1, as compared to Q4 2012. However, we expect our Front-end operation to show an order intake in Q1, strongly above the expected sales level for Q1. Based on the backlog at the end of Q4 and the expected order intake in Q1 and Q2, we foresee a double-digit sales increase for Front-end in Q2.
Q1 sales in the Back-end are expected to be at approximately the same level as in Q4, order intake is expected to show an increase in Q1 over Q4.
Study on Market Valuation of the Company
ASM International with the assistance of its financial advisers is in the final stage of completing the study regarding the non-recognition by the markets of the value of the combined businesses of the Company. ASM International will report on the outcome of this study as soon as practical and in any event before the forthcoming Annual General Meeting scheduled on May 16, 2013.
ASM will publish its 2012 Annual report on Form 20-F and its Statutory Annual Report on April 4, 2013. The reports will be published on our website at www.asm.com.
About ASM International
ASM International N.V., headquartered in Almere, the Netherlands, and its subsidiaries design and manufacture equipment and materials used to produce semiconductor devices. ASM International and its subsidiaries provide production solutions for wafer processing (Front-end segment) as well as assembly and packaging (Back-end segment) through facilities in the United States, Europe, Japan and Asia. ASM International’s common stock trades on NASDAQ (symbol ASMI) and the Euronext Amsterdam Stock Exchange (symbol ASM). For more information, visit ASMI’s website at www.asm.com.
Safe Harbor Statement under the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: All matters discussed in this statement, except for any historical data, are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These include, but are not limited to, economic conditions and trends in the semiconductor industry generally and the timing of the industry cycles specifically, currency fluctuations, corporate transactions, financing and liquidity matters, the success of restructurings, the timing of significant orders, market acceptance of new products, competitive factors, litigation involving intellectual property, shareholder and other issues, commercial and economic disruption due to natural disasters, terrorist activity, armed conflict or political instability, epidemics and other risks indicated in the Company’s filings from time to time with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, the Company’s reports on Form 20-F and Form 6-K. The Company assumes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements to reflect future developments or circumstances.
ASM International will host an investor conference call and webcast on Wednesday March 6, 2013 at 15:00 Continental European Time (9:00 a.m. - US Eastern Time, 9:00 p.m. Hong Kong Time).
The teleconference dial-in numbers are as follows:
· United States: +1 646 254 3362
· International: + 44 (0)20 3450 9987
· Access Code: 8774357
A simultaneous audio web cast will be accessible at www.asm.com.
The teleconference will be available for replay, beginning one hour after completion of the live broadcast, through May 4, 2013.
The replay dial-in numbers are:
· United States: +1 347 366 9565
· England: + 44 (0)20 3427 0598
· The Netherlands: +31 (0)20 708 5013
· Hong Kong: +852 3011 4669
· Access Code: 8774357
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.