Pegasus to lease Trent-powered 787s to Blue Panorama
18 July 2006, Rolls-Royce today announced that six Trent 1000-powered Boeing 787s have been acquired by US leasing firm, Pegasus Aviation Finance Company. The deal, which includes a long term TotalCare® services agreement, is worth over $300 million.
After a joint selection procedure, Pegasus and Rome-based airline Blue Panorama both become first time Trent customers. Pegasus is the fifth leasing company to include Trent-powered aircraft in its portfolio.
Blue Panorama will operate four of these aircraft and become the sixth airline to select the Trent-powered 787. This engine and airframe combination has also been acquired by three leasing companies, including Pegasus.
Deliveries are scheduled to begin in November 2009.
Charles Cuddington, Chief Commercial Officer, Civil Large Engines at Rolls-Royce, commented: “The combination of the Dreamliner and the Trent 1000 will bring a new level of travel experience to Blue Panorama’s passengers. As the fourth development engine goes to test, the programme is in full swing. We’re confident that yet another version of the Trent series will deliver the same levels of benefit to Blue Panorama as its predecessors have for more than 50 other customers around the world.”
Richard S Wiley, President and CEO at Pegasus, said: “Flexibility is key to our offering and the Trent 1000-powered 787 provides us and our customers with a reliable and adaptable package. Additionally, TotalCare helps both ourselves and our customers minimise risk and get the most out of the engine. Taking possession of these early slots for the Trent 1000-powered 787 puts us in a prime market position.”
Franco Pecci, President and CEO of Blue Panorama, added: “The Trent 1000 delivers the best levels of efficiency and overall operating economics for our business, while the TotalCare package provides us with peace of mind about operational support and cost.”
Blue Panorama plans to use its 787s on its long haul scheduled routes from Italy, such as services to Central and South America, the Caribbean and the Far East. The airline also operates short-haul charter services to the main European capitals and tourist resorts.
Rolls-Royce will be holding a photo call to mark the engine agreement on Stand G17, Hall 4, at 11am on Tuesday 18 July, featuring executives from Rolls-Royce, Pegasus and Blue Panorama.
Note to editors:
Caption for photograph: The Trent 1000 is the launch engine on all variants of the Boeing 787.
1. Pegasus Aviation Finance Company, based in San Francisco, USA, is one of the world’s largest privately-held, commercial aircraft lessors with a fleet of over 200 Boeing and Airbus aircraft. Pegasus is one of the world’s fastest-growing aircraft lessors and has a current aircraft order book of 30 new aircraft through 2010, bringing the total value of its fleet in excess of $4.5 billion.
2. Blue Panorama was established in December 1998 and is headquartered in Rome, Italy. The airline offers both short-haul charter and long-haul scheduled operations from its flying bases at Rome, Milan and Bologne.
3. The Trent 1000 will be launch engine on all variants of the 787. ANA will begin operating the 787-8 in mid-2008 and will also introduce the short-range 787–3 variant in 2010. Air New Zealand recently announced that it was converting its order of 787–8s to 787–9s with service entry also in 2010.
4. Along with this selection, firm and option orders have been placed for a total of 139 Trent 1000-powered Boeing 787s by ANA, Air New Zealand, Icelandair, LOT Polish Airlines, Northwest Airlines and leasing companies ILFC and LCAL.
5. The Trent 1000 is the fifth member of the Trent series, the first of which entered service in 1995. By the time the Trent 1000 begins commercial operations, previous versions of the Trent will have accumulated around 30 million flying hours.
6. Three Trent 1000 engines are already involved in ground tests while another three are on build and nearing completion.
For images please go to the media room.
Visit www.thenewsmarket.com/rolls-royce for b-roll video. Registration and access to the media is free. You can download a MPEG2 file or order a Beta SP tape.
- Contact Information
- Annalie Brown
- Communications Manager – Civil Aerospace
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.