SAMSUNG Recognized for Sustainability Leadership at 2013 International CES
The first to achieve Gold Level UL Environment certification for TVs and winning four 2013 Eco-Design Awards demonstrate Samsung’s commitment to advancing technology that promote sustainability
LAS VEGAS – Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a global leader in consumer electronics, highlights its leadership in creating innovative, eco-conscious technology at the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). In addition to being the Exclusive Green Sponsor of this year’s CES, the company is demonstrating its wide variety of beautiful products with eco-conscious features at the Eco Zone of the Samsung booth (#12004) in Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Three of the four Samsung 2013 Eco-Design Award-winners – the Series 9 Premium Ultrabook, the CLP-365W Laser Color Printer, and the Green DDR3 – will be on display at the Eco Zone.
- Samsung’s Series 9 Premium Ultrabook is designed to meet strict performance and environmental criteria with extremely low energy consumption both in idle and standby modes, which leads to a reduction in environmental impact. The Series 9 is also free of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFR). Samsung also developed a longer-lasting battery specifically for the Series 9 which delivers up to 10 hours of power on a single charge¹ and an optimized Smart Step Charging Algorithm that improves the multi-way charger by control charging conditions depending on voltage and current. Samsung’s unique suite of software allows people to choose between Power-saving and Eco-modes. The Series 9 has been certified worldwide with energy certifications such as ENERGY STAR v5.2, EPEAT Gold rating, and TCO notebooks 3.1.
- Samsung’s CLP-365W Laser Color Printer offers a number of environmentally friendly features such as the “One-Touch Eco Button” and the “Easy Eco Driver” which are designed to save power, paper and toner. As part of Samsung’s commitment to the environment, all of the latest color models have earned the ENERGY STAR-certification and all toner is eligible for Samsung’s S.T.A.R. Program, a free service that recycles empty cartridges into usable component materials.
- Samsung’s Green DDR3 is a highly advanced memory module designed for server systems used to support the infrastructure of a wide variety of server applications. It delivers the highest memory performance available today for servers (1333 Mbps) and at its highest density enables extremely high capacity (3TB max) memory configurations for four-way server systems. Operating with a voltage of 1.35V, according to Samsung tests it provides an average 70% power savings (per unit density) over a 50nm class equivalent, 1.5V DDR3-based RDIMM.
“Samsung’s Eco Zone Display at CES exemplifies our continued commitment to the environment and the long-term life expectancy and durability of our products that make our technology truly sustainable,” said David Steel, Executive Vice President of Strategy for Samsung Electronics North America. “We look forward to creating new technology that will provide people with the next generation of eco-friendly features they never dreamed was possible.”
The other 2013 Eco-Design Award-winner, Samsung’s new LED Smart Bulb, was unveiled at the Official Press Event of the International CES on Jan. 6 and will be featured at the Innovations Design and Engineering Awards Showcase in The Venetian.
- Samsung’s LED Smart Bulb uses less energy and lasts longer than incandescent bulbs. The 13.6W bulb casts a pleasant warm white glow that matches the brightness of a 50W incandescent bulb which is sufficient for the most common areas of the home. It is also flicker-free, and unlike CFLs, reaches full illumination immediately. This state-of-the-art product is also integrated with a wireless communication protocol, which allows people to easily control the lighting by using their smartphone to change the ambience of a space - even from the comfort of their sofa.
Other products with eco-conscious features on display at the Eco Zone of the Samsung booth include:
- The Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate™ (SGH-1577) with AT&T is the first 4G LTE smartphone to receive platinum certification from UL Environment, a business unit of UL (Underwriters Laboratories). UL Environment sets minimum requirements for “environmentally preferable” mobile devices by measuring environmentally sensitive materials, energy management, manufacturing and operations, impact to health and environment, product performance, packaging and product stewardship. The Exhilarate features a rear casing made from 80 percent recycled (post-consumer waste) material and is packaged with a low-load, energy-efficient charger that alerts customers when the device is fully charged.
- The WiFi-enabled Samsung WF457ARGSGR front-load washer which delivers large capacity, smart features, and superior cleaning performance in an eco-efficient model. This washer features SpeedSpray which delivers a concentrated solution of detergent to clean more quickly, saving up to 90 minutes per week on laundry. The washer meets ENERGY STAR’s most efficient washer criteria, representing the top 5 percent of washers in energy performance. It also features a Smart Control system that allows people to control their washer remotely. Through a wireless router and a smart phone application, people can monitor cycle selections, remaining time and finishing alerts, as well as start or pause the washer.
- The Samsung RF263BEAESR French Door stainless steel refrigerator is a modern, stylish, and organized partner in the kitchen. The ENERGY STAR-qualified CEE Tier 3 refrigerator uses 31 percent less energy than the Department of Energy standards and is designed to exceed 2014 standards, making it as efficient as it is functional, without compromising capacity and contemporary design. The 26 cu. ft. refrigerator also features Samsung’s exclusive Twin Cooling Plus® System, which circulates air within the refrigerator and freezer compartments individually. Two separate evaporators and air flow streams eliminate the transfer of odors between compartments and maintain optimal humidity levels, keeping produce fresher, longer, and help save money on grocery bills.
Products such as the UN55F8000AF and the UN46F8000AF on display outside the Eco Zone at the Samsung booth also feature eco-conscious features. These LED TVs were the first in the industry to qualify for the newly created UL Environment Gold Level designation based on the IEEE Standard for Environmental Assessment of Televisions (1680.3). The nationally recognized standard helps identify electronic equipment that are more eco-friendly. To qualify for Gold Level, the TV must meet all required criteria plus 75% of the optional criteria.
In addition to the company’s commitment to energy-saving, eco-conscious, and sustainable technology, Samsung understands the importance of recycling technology in a safe and convenient way. To help consumers responsibly recycle their old electronics, Samsung makes it easy as possible by offering collection opportunities in all 50 states. Through its 900+ recycling locations, Samsung collected and responsibly recycled more than 83 million pounds of e-waste in 2012 and more than 239 million pounds of e-waste since the Samsung Recycling Direct program began in 2008.
¹Test results based on independent Mobile Mark tests. See samsung.com/ITDlegalinfo for further details.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in consumer electronics and the core components that go into them. Through relentless innovation and discovery, we are transforming the worlds of televisions, smartphones, personal computers, printers, cameras, home appliances, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. We employ 227,000 people across 75 countries with annual sales exceeding US$143 billion. Our goal is opening new possibilities for people everywhere. To discover more, please visit www.samsung.com.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.