Children in Will Row Hope Mistress Will Run Chicken

Temperley Taylor solicitors react to the news that Bernard Matthews children are refusing to accept their father’s last request to leave his holiday villa to his mistress.


WEBWIRE – Monday, November 12, 2012

The Children of poultry tycoon Bernard Matthews, whose turkey empire amassed him a fortune of £40 million, are refusing to accept their father’s last request to leave his holiday villa to his mistress.

Under French law, his adopted son and two daughters would automatically be entitled to 75% of his Mediterranean property on his death. However Mr Matthews had appealed to his children not to contest his wishes and allow Villa Bolinha, in Ramatuelle, to go to his French lover Odile Marteyn.

Earlier this month it was revealed in The Telegraph that his children had refused to accept the request in his will and had insisted on their stake of the villa. They had also appealed for the £2 million payout in inheritance tax liable on the villa to be paid for his English properties.

His affair with the French woman was only revealed when his will was made public. It appeared their relationship began after Mr Matthew’s romances with Dutch aristocrat Cornelia Elgershuzien – with whom he had a son and Natalie McCray, an American model.

However he never divorced his wife, who helped him build his poultry campaign, establishing it as a household brand.

The Independent reported that while Mr Matthew’s wishes were respected by his son George, his three other children took his will to the High Court to claim their 56.25 per cent stake in the villa, leaving Miss Marteyn with 43.75 per cent under French inheritance laws.
However the judge rejected the trio’s argument that their inheritance tax on the villa should be paid for Mr Matthew’s properties outside of France, ruling he had not wanted his adopted children to have any part of the French home.

Ian Mann, Partner at Temperley Taylor, who specialises in will and probate law, agrees with the judge’s actions, stating, “Dealing with legal ownership of foreign estates can often be a long and difficult process and in most cases you will have to abide to the laws of the country the estate is in.”

“However current UK legislation identifies the owner of the properties as whoever is stated in the will, meaning the adopted children have no right to have their tax liability discharged or reimbursed for the estates over here.”

Temperley Taylor provide legal advice and support for a variety of legal services including wills and probate, Court of Protection and lasting powers of attorney. For more information visit http://www.temperleytaylor.co.uk/wills.php or call 0161 643 2411.

The Independent Article found here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9523298/Bernard-Matthewss-children-in-will-row-with-mistress.html.



WebWireID164558




 
 will
 probate
 will dispute
 temperley taylor
 solicitors
Contact Information
Ian Mann
Partner
Temperley Taylor
(1) 0161 643 2411
info@temperleytaylor.co.uk


This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.

News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.