Assembly to look at progress on fuel poverty and energy efficiency
Fuel poverty affects almost a fifth of London households and contributed to 2,500 excess winter deaths in 2010/11. What progress has been made towards tackling this problem and improving energy efficiency in the capital?
The London Assembly Health and Environment Committee will tomorrow question experts as part of a follow-up to an earlier investigations on fuel poverty and the potential role of the Mayor’s energy efficiency programme in tackling it.
Recommendations made by the Assembly, such as the establishment of a London Affordable Warmth and Health Forum to promote citywide action on fuel poverty, have already been adopted by various London councils.
The Committee will also look more broadly at tackling fuel poverty through improving the energy efficiency of existing homes or retrofitting.
The following guests will attend:
• Richard Blakeway, Deputy Mayor for Housing, Land and Property
• Amy Ingham, Fuel Poverty and Smart Meters team, Department for Energy and Climate Change
• Jo Gill, Energy Efficiency Co-ordinator, Hillingdon Council and Vice-Chair of the inter-borough London Carbon Action Network
• Christine Tate, Head of Corporate Social Responsibility, British Gas
• Kelly Greer, Energy Solutions Manager, British Gas
• John Mason, Social and Environmental Policy Manager, EDF Energy
The Health and Environment Committee meeting will take place at 10am on Thursday, 8 November 2012 in Committee Room 5 at City Hall (The Queen’s Walk, London SE1). Media and members of the public are invited to attend. The meeting can also be viewed via webcast.
Notes to editors:
1. 560,000 London households.
2. Read the Health and Public Services Committee report, ‘In from the cold’- March 2012
3. See full agenda papers.
4. Murad Qureshi AM, Chair of the Health and Environment Committee, is available for interview. See contact details below.
5. As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.