ISHM Implements New Procedures for Evaluating Foreign Degrees
The Institute for Safety and Health Management (ISHM) administers the prestigious CSHM and ASHM certifications for health and safety professionals.
Last month, the Institute for Safety and Health Management announced they have changed the procedures for ASHM and CSHM applicants who have degrees from outside of the United States and Canada. The new procedure for evaluating these foreign degrees was implemented on June 26th.
How applicants’ degrees are reviewed is an important step since candidates need to show they meet educational requirements along with qualifying experience. Different levels of degrees, from associate to doctorate, and depending on the field of study, can mean different levels of qualifying work experience are necessary to obtain the ASHM or CSHM designations.
The new foreign degree evaluation process includes the following:
- The highest attained education level will be utilized as the means for determining the experience requirement, i.e. an individual would not be allowed to stack education towards the experience requirement.
- The submitted degree must be awarded by a school that is accredited by a Member Organization of the Council on Higher Education Accreditation.
- Degrees granted by institutions outside the United States and Canada must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency by a NACES® member organization.
- The CSHM/ASHM applicant should contact one of the NACES agencies prior to applying for certification.
- The organization of the applicant’s choosing should forward the results directly to ISHM.
Many international applicants for the CSHM and ASHM, as well as those who studied abroad, will be impacted by these new procedures. “These changes were necessary to clarify the ISHM’s methods for evaluating candidates,” reported Larry Curtis, CSHM, Executive Director of ISHM. “As the CSHM and ASHM grow in popularity and worldwide recognition it was important for the ISHM to announce these changes and provide a clear roadmap for applicants with foreign degrees.”
To learn more about the CSHM, ASHM or the Institute for Safety and Health Management, please visit http://www.ISHM.org, email info@ISHM.org or call (877) 201-4053.
About the Institute for Safety and Health Management
The Institute for Safety and Health Management is the premier credentialing organization founded to promote the establishment of standards and recognition of safety and risk management professionals. Through the ISHM’s certification programs, Certified Safety and Health Manager (CSHM) and Associate Safety Health Manager (ASHM), it promotes the advancement of safety management through the application of management principles and the integration of safety into all levels and activities of management.
- Contact Information
- Paul Cochrane
- Cochrane & Associates, LLC
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.