Oracle ACE Karen Morton Describes Best Practices for Developing Optimally Performing SQL
Join industry expert Karen Morton for a free webinar on the “Best Practices for Developing Optimally Performing SQL” on April 5 at 6:00am and 11:00am PDT.
SAN FRANCISCO – April 2, 2012 – Join industry expert Karen Morton for a free webinar on the “Best Practices for Developing Optimally Performing SQL” on April 5 at 6:00am and 11:00am PDT. Morton, an OakTable Network Member and an Oracle ACE member, will reveal the importance of planning first, the key questions to ask during the process, and how to use “what if” analysis to ensure that the code is performing its best.
Anyone interested in attending this webinar sponsored by Embarcadero can register at:http://www.embarcadero.com/landing-pages/best-practices-for-developing-optimally-performing-sql and choose to attend any one of the two sessions at 6 a.m. or 11 a.m. PDT.
In this webinar, attendees will take away best practices such as:
- Plan first - There’s almost always more than one way to write a SQL statement. Cover your bases.
- Ask questions - You have to “tune the question, not the query”. The more questions you ask, the deeper your understanding.
- Focus on the journey, not the destination - If you are only focused on what the query answer/result is, you’ll likely overlook how you write SQL. Typically, how and why are more important questions to ask.
- Gather data - You have to know/understand the resource consumption of your SQL in order to know if it will perform well (both short and long term).
- Play “what if” - Try to determine what would happen if certain conditions occurred. Things like data volume increase and number of users can have an effect on how your query will perform. “What if” games will help you think about scalability.
- Instrument your code - Add a way to monitor and trace your code easily on demand.
- TTT (Test To Destruction) - Test, test, test!
About Karen Morton
Karen is a Senior Technical Consultant for Enkitec. For more than 20 years, Karen has specialized in information technology, working as a mainframe programmer, developer, DBA, data architect, author, researcher, educator and consultant. Having used Oracle since the early ’90s, she is considered one of the most respected Oracle experts in the tech industry. Her specialty is in Oracle performance optimization, particularly SQL tuning and the optimizer. Karen is the co-author of three books from Apress: Beginning Oracle SQL, Expert Oracle Practices: Database Administration from the Oak Table and Pro Oracle SQL. As a master presenter, she’s taught hundreds how to work effectively in the Oracle platform, and is a frequent speaker at conferences and user groups throughout the year. Karen is an Oracle ACE and a member of the OakTable Network, a network of Oracle scientists who meet at Oracle events to explore better ways of administering and developing Oracle based systems. Follow her blog at http://karenmorton.blogspot.com.
About Embarcadero Technologies
Embarcadero Technologies, Inc. is a leading provider of award-winning tools for application developers and database professionals so they can design systems right, build them faster and run them better, regardless of their platform or programming language. Ninety of the Fortune 100 and an active community of more than three million users worldwide rely on Embarcadero products to increase productivity, reduce costs, simplify change management and compliance and accelerate innovation. Founded in 1993, Embarcadero is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices located around the world. Embarcadero is online at www.embarcadero.com.
- Contact Information
- Colleen Martell
- Marcom Director
- (1) 831-431-5053
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.