Butterflies to Take Flight During Coldplay’s “American Express Unstaged“ Live VEVO Event on YouTube
Fans Worldwide can be a Part of an Online Art Installation during Show with Coldplay and Director Anton Corbijn
Event Includes Livestream Viewing Party in Times Square, Free Downloads of Live Concert Tracks, and Contest to Win Tickets to an Upcoming Coldplay Concert
NEW YORK -- American Express, in partnership with VEVO and YouTube, announced today its full roster of exclusive fan experiences and enhanced digital features for Grammy(R) award-winning rock band Coldplay’s performance within the “American Express Unstaged” music series. The show will be streamed globally as a live VEVO event on YouTube from one of Spain’s most famous arenas, Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas in Madrid, at 4:00PM ET / 1:00PM PT on Wednesday, October 26 at YouTube.com/ColdplayVEVO with special guest, artist Fedde Le Grand.
A first for the “American Express Unstaged” music series, Coldplay’s performance will showcase various opportunities, including an opportunity for fans to create butterflies to be featured in a visually stunning art installation during the show, a takeover of several HD screens in Times Square, New York City, and an exclusive contest for one fan to win tickets to an upcoming Coldplay concert. The global event will come just two days after Coldplay’s critically-acclaimed fifth studio album, MYLO XYLOTO (Capitol Records), hits stores. “American Express Unstaged” has featured such recognized musicians, paired with well-known directors, including Arcade Fire with Terry Gilliam, John Legend & The Roots with Spike Lee, Sugarland with Kenny Ortega, Duran Duran with David Lynch, and My Morning Jacket with Todd Haynes.
Live-Stream Directed by Award-Winning Filmmaker Anton Corbijn
Coldplay’s “American Express Unstaged” performance will be directed by award-winning filmmaker and celebrated photographer Anton Corbijn (The American, Control). Corbijn and the band plan to immerse themselves in the pulsing crowd energy and excitement surrounding Madrid’s historic arena by bringing some additional elements to the concert experience, including graffiti-styled imagery, which will be threaded throughout the night.
“I am thrilled to be collaborating with Coldplay on their performance within the ‘American Express Unstaged’ music series,” said director Anton Corbijn. “I am looking forward to bringing our combined vision to life and uniting fans around the world to experience their extraordinary energy and musical genius.”
American Express, in partnership with VEVO and YouTube, will continue to provide revolutionary access to Coldplay fans and music enthusiasts worldwide through pre-show, in-concert and post-show features and one-of-a-kind content that further blur the line between the at-home and in-concert experience:
• “Press Pass Challenge”: Coldplay is the first artist to be featured within the newly launched Amex Entertainment channel on the American Express Facebook page. As part of a unique “Press Pass Challenge,” music fans can submit a question to be potentially used by Billboard.com editor M. Tye Comer at americanexpressentertainment.com during an upcoming interview with Coldplay. Members of the American Express Entertainment community can vote for the questions they would most like to see Comer ask the band. The fan who submits the winning question will receive two tickets and backstage passes to an upcoming Coldplay performance. See Official Rules for details.
• “Flight of Madrid” Project: Fans worldwide can be a part of an on-stage and online art installation creating graffiti-style butterfly designs by visiting amexunstagedcoldplay.com. A selection of fan-submitted butterflies will be animated into a music video that will be projected on the LCD screens behind the band during the concert.
• Online Pre Show: Building anticipation of the night, viewers who tune in to the live-stream will catch a documentary created by Anton Corbijn.
• “Graffiti” Interview Series: American Express and Coldplay will release a series of Q&A interviews, where the band’s answers will be interpreted into graffiti artwork created by renowned street artists, uniquely merging the digital and physical art worlds.
• Official Concert Trailer: Fans can get an early glimpse at the creative vision behind Coldplay’s “American Express Unstaged” performance by visiting YouTube.com/ColdplayVEVO to view an exclusive pre-concert trailer.
• NYC Times Square Livestream Viewing: For the first time in the music series, Coldplay’s “American Express Unstaged” performance will be streamed live in Times Square, New York City, on four large LED screens, with built-in sound.
• Choose Your Cam: The at-home audience can control their viewing experience throughout the show by switching between multiple cameras, including the “Director’s Cut,” a “Main Stage Camera” putting the at-home audience in the center of the performance, and a unique “Aerial Camera” powered by Spider Cam technology affixed to cables circling Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas.
• Global Chat: Fans around the world can join the global chat along with the show, or invite friends to have a private viewing and chat experience to celebrate the event.
• Three Free Live Tracks on Facebook: Following the concert, fans who “Like” the American Express Entertainment tab on Facebook can enjoy advanced access to download three Coldplay tracks from the evening.
• Rebroadcast: Following the live performance, Coldplay’s “American Express Unstaged” performance will be rebroadcast for the next 48 hours, and live, on-demand clips will be available at YouTube.com/ColdplayVEVO.
“The American Express Unstaged” music series will be live-streamed on mobile devices for fans around the world. Using the VEVO and YouTube apps for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Android, fans can access the stream on mobile devices as well. VEVO and YouTube mobile apps experience more than five million downloads a day and over 200 million views a day.
About Coldplay and its Upcoming Album MYLO XYLOTO
MYLO XYLOTO was recorded in London and produced by Markus Dravs (Arcade Fire, Bjork, Mumford and Sons), Daniel Green and Rik Simpson, with enoxification and additional composition by Brian Eno (U2, David Bowie). Coldplay – comprising Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion and Chris Martin – has sold more than 50 million records worldwide and won numerous awards, including seven GRAMMY(R) Awards, six Brit Awards and four MTV Video Music Awards. The band’s last album, 2008’s Viva La Vida, charted at No. 1 in 36 countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom.
About “American Express Unstaged”
Coldplay’s October 26th performance represents the sixth installment within the innovative music series “American Express Unstaged,” which launched in the summer of 2010 in partnership with VEVO and YouTube. Bringing the in-concert and at-home viewing experiences to new heights, “American Express Unstaged” showcases some of the music industry’s most breakthrough artists playing at landmark venues across the country, while tapping some of today’s most influential filmmakers to direct the live-streams and using digital and social media to connect the online audience to the live shows in unexpected ways. “American Express Unstaged” has generated more than 40 million total streams for all five artists’ performances.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/companies/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
VEVO is the world’s leading all-premium music video and entertainment platform with offices in New York, London, Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit and San Francisco. VEVO is available in the United States, Canada and United Kingdom through VEVO.com, Mobile & Tablet Apps (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry PlayBook), Connected Television (Google TV, Boxee) and user embeddable video players. VEVO powers music videos on artist pages across Facebook, as well as syndicates to dozens of online sites, including AOL, BET, CBS Interactive Music Group (including Last.fm and MP3.com), Fuse.tv and Univision. Additionally, through a special partnership with YouTube, VEVO is accessible in over 200 countries, expanding the platform’s reach around the globe.
YouTube is the world’s most popular online video community allowing millions of people to discover, watch and share originally-created videos. Our mission is for YOU to discover and shape the world through video. YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small. YouTube, LLC is based in San Bruno, CA and is a subsidiary of Google Inc.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.