Sony Ericsson boosts 2011 Xperia™ family with new experiences and new software
- 2011 Xperia™ range to be upgraded to Android Gingerbread platform version 2.3.4
- Enhanced Facebook inside Xperia™ functionality
- Introducing Xperia™ neo V Android smartphone with the best of entertainment technologies from Sony and Google
London, UK – Sony Ericsson today announced new functionality and features to its 2011 Xperia™ smartphone range with a comprehensive software upgrade from October 2011. Consumers with 2011 Xperia™ smartphones will benefit from improvements to Sony Ericsson’s unique Facebook inside Xperia™ offering and 3D camera functionality from Sony. The upgrade also allows consumers to enjoy the full benefits of the Android Gingerbread platform including Google Talk with Video Chat.
Sony Ericsson’s unique social experience provided by Facebook inside Xperia™ has been super-charged enabling Xperia users to like, share and discover on Facebook in a faster, easier and more intuitive way. The new functionality aims to make entertainment more social by giving users the ability to share and discover apps and games with friends through Facebook.
The latest camera enhancements from Sony introduce 3D sweep panorama technology so that images can be captured and then viewed in 3D by connecting the phone to a 3D TV using the HDMI output.
“With this software upgrade, we are bringing a wealth of new and really entertaining experiences to all our 2011 Xperia™ smartphones, including those already in consumers’ hands today,”said Nikolaus Scheurer, Head of Product Marketing at Sony Ericsson. “Our users will get to enjoy new features from Google, an even richer Facebook integration, and enhanced camera functionality from Sony.”
Xperia™ neo V is one of the first new products to launch with the new software and will include all the features like Google Talk with Video Chat, 3D sweep panorama and enhanced Facebook inside Xperia™ functionality. Building on the success of the original Xperia™ neo launched earlier this year, Xperia™ neo V takes the latest Android software for smartphones and the best of Sony entertainment experiences, including Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, to even more markets. Sony Ericsson Xperia™ neo V will be available globally in select markets from Q4 2011.
The software upgrade will be available in select markets through a phased roll out starting from October 2011. Xperia™ owners will receive a notification instructing them to instantaneously download the software over the air via 3G or WiFi. Alternatively, they will have the option to connect to a computer and download it via PC companion.
Upgrade at a glance:
• Xperia™ smartphones to be upgraded to the 2.3.4 version of the Gingerbread platform with new features including Google Talk with Video Chat for smartphones with front-facing cameras
• Updated Facebook inside Xperia™ functionality for enhanced like, share and discover abilities
• Xperia™ smartphones introducing world’s first 3D sweep panorama functionality powered by Sony.
• The software upgrade enables consumers to turn their Xperia smartphone into a mini-mobile PC by connecting USB peripherals (mouse, keyboard or game controller) to Sony Ericsson LiveDock™ multimedia station. Connect the smartphone to a TV via HDMI to get a big screen experience.
• Swipe text input - text input by swiping the finger from one letter to the next
• Screen capture - allows the user to share a screen grab from anywhere in the phone
For full details all products news, please visit the press room and the product blog:
Sony Ericsson Xperia™ neo V at a glance.
*Please note that all services mentioned below may not be available in every market.
• Blue Gradient
• Size: 116 x 57 x 13mm
• Weight: 126g
• Operating system: Google™ Android 2.3 (Gingerbread version 2.3.4)
• Processor: 1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8255
• 3D sweep panorama
• 5 megapixel camera
• 16x digital zoom
• Auto focus
• Face detection
• Front facing camera (VGA)
• Geo tagging
• HD video recording (720p)
• Image stabiliser
• Red-eye reduction
• Scene detection
• Send to web
• Smile detection
• Sweep panorama
• Touch capture
• Touch focus
• Video light
• Video recording
• Video stabiliser
• Album art
• Bluetooth™ stereo (A2DP)
• Media player
• Music tones (MP3/AAC)
• PlayNow™ service
• Sony Ericsson Music player
• TrackID™ music recognition
• Android Market™
• Google™ search
• Google Voice™ Search
• Pan & zoom
• Web browser (WebKit)
• Call list
• Conference calls
• Facebook™ application
• Facebook inside Xperia™ V2
• Google Talk™ video chat*
• Noise Shield
• Polyphonic ringtones
• Sony Ericsson Timescape™
• Twitter™ (Timescape™ integration)
• Vibrating alert
• Video chat ready
• Google Mail™
• Instant messaging
• Multimedia messaging (MMS)
• Predictive text input
• Sound recorder
• Text messaging (SMS)
• Auto rotation
• Keyboard (on-screen, QWERTY)
• Live wallpaper
• Picture wallpaper
• Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine
• Swipe to write
• Touch screen
• 3D games
• Media browser
• Motion gaming
• Radio (FM radio with RDS)
• Video streaming
• Alarm clock
• Document readers
• Flight mode
• Google Calendar™
• Google Gallery 3D
• Infinite button
• Setup guide
• Widget manager
All services mentioned in this leaflet may not be available in every market.
• 3.5 mm audio jack
• Bluetooth™ technology
• DLNA Certified™
• Google Latitude™
• Google Maps™ for Mobile
• Google Maps™ with Street View
• HDMI™ support
• Media Transfer Protocol support
• Micro USB support
• Native USB tethering
• Synchronisation via Facebook™
• Synchronisation via Google Sync™
• Synchronisation via Sony Ericsson Sync
• Synchronisation via Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync®
• TV Out
• USB mass storage
• USB High speed 2.0 support
• Wi-Fi® Hotspot functionality
• Wisepilot™ turn-by-turn navigation
• Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine
• 16,777,216 colour TFT
• Capacitive touchscreen (multi-touch)
• 3.7 inches
• 480 x 854 pixels (FWVGA)
• Phone memory: Up to 320MB
• Memory card support: microSD™, up to 32GB
• Memory card included: 2GB microSD™
• Talk time GSM/GPRS: Up to 6 hrs 55 min*
• Standby time GSM/GPRS: Up to 430 hrs*
• Talk time UMTS: Up to 7 hrs*
• Standby time UMTS: Up to 400 hrs*
• Music listening time: Up to 31 hrs*
• Video playback time: Up to 7 hrs 25 min*
• *According to GSM Association Battery Life Measurement Technique. Battery performance may vary depending on network conditions and configurations, and phone usage.
• UMTS HSPA 900, 2100
• GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
• UMTS HSPA 850, 1900, 2100
• GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900
In the kit
• Xperia™ neo V
• 1500 mAh battery
• Stereo portable handsfree
• 2GB microSD™ memory card
• Micro USB cable for charging
• Synchronisation and file transfer
• User documentation
1) Facts and features may vary depending on local variant. 2) Operational times are affected by network preferences, type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. playing games. Kit contents and colour options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market.
The Liquid Identity logo, GreenHeart and Xperia are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB. Sony, BRAVIA and make.believe are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation. Ericsson is the trademark or registered trademark of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson. Additional information regarding trademarks may be located on our website at: www.sonyericsson.com/cws/common/legal/disclaimer.
Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. All terms are subject to change without prior notice.
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, SE-221 88 Lund, Sweden.
Printed in August 2011, R1A
About Sony Ericsson
Sony Ericsson celebrates its 10th year as a joint venture between Sony Corporation and Ericsson in October, 2011. Over the years Sony Ericsson has brought together the best communication technologies with superior entertainment user experiences to create its Xperia™ line of the ‘most entertaining smartphones’ in the mobile handset industry. With its global corporate functions in London, Sony Ericsson has sales and marketing operations in all major regions of the world, as well as manufacturing in China, and product development sites in China, Japan, Sweden and Silicon Valley, California.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.