Football Star Mark Sanchez Huddles-Up with Samís Clubģ for a Great Cause
BENTONVILLE, ARK., Ė Football star Mark Sanchez has teamed up with Samís Club to tackle prevalent health issues for their 2011 Giving Made Simple campaign, where members and associates help determine a portion of the companyís charitable donations. The lauded quarterback is helping to raise awareness of such matters as childhood obesity and access to prevention programs in an effort to help change consumer behaviors and drive donations to programs striving to make a difference in people of all ages.
Based on membersí and associatesí votes, Samís Club will donate up to $2 million to the participating nonprofit organizations. Voting is open at SamsClub.com/givingmadesimple and on Facebook.com/samsclub now through August 1, 2011. For every member and associate vote cast, Samís Club will donate $5 to the chosen cause. Each nonprofit organization will receive a minimum of $50,000 and could receive up to $500,000 apiece. Non members may vote via Twitter July 12 and July 26 at which time the participating organizations will receive a vote for every tweet and retweet that includes @samsclub and their organizationís specific hashtag.
ďAs a professional athlete, I know how important it is to take care of my body and stay healthy,Ē said Sanchez. ďUnfortunately, not all communities have the resources that families need to live healthy lifestyles. Through Samís Club Giving Made Simple, we can all support organizations that promote healthy living in our communities with just a simple click of the mouse.Ē
Every Vote Counts
The following nonprofit organizations are participating in Giving Made Simple this year and expect to achieve these impacts, provided they get the maximum votes to receive a $500,000 donation from Samís Club.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation will transform more than 1,600 schools into healthier places where physical activity and healthy eating options are available before, during and after school.
- OASIS will engage more than 50,000 people nationwide who are age 50+ in active lifestyles to keep them healthy and well.
- Sesame Street will help establish healthy habits, including oral preventive care practices, in nearly one million parents and at-risk children.
- The Y will mobilize communities to ensure that healthy food options, safe places for physical activity, and effective chronic disease prevention programs are accessible to all.
Healthy Living Advice
All of the above nonprofit organizations participating in Giving Made Simple support community efforts for health and wellness and offer advice for living a healthy and active lifestyle. A few simple tips on healthy living include:
- Make the Switch. When packing a school lunch, swap the white bread for whole wheat varieties for added boosts of fiber. Also switch from fatty meats to low-fat alternatives such as lean turkey or chicken breast.
- Play It Down. Using screen time to reward or punish a child makes it seem more important than it is. Use praise, encouragement and recognition for physical activity and make screen time a nonevent in your home.
- Take Tooth Time Together. Preschoolers are still developing the muscles and skills they need to brush on their own. They need help from adults to get teeth nice and clean. Help children brush their teeth, and then ask them to take the lead and imitate your actions. Also remind them to rinse and spit out the toothpaste.
- Go on a Walk. Walking for 30 minutes a day increases your bone density. Physical activity increases your chances of living a longer healthier life and it is never too late to become active.
- Coordinate a Walking School Bus. Give the kids in the community an alternative to taking the bus to school if they are close enough to walk. Coordinate a ďwalking school busĒ where parents pick up children and facilitate safe travel to school and afterschool programs.
About Samís Club
Samís Club, a division of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), is the nationís eighth largest retailer and a leading Membership warehouse Club offering superior products and services to more than 47 million Members in Clubs across the U.S., as well as in Brazil, China and Mexico. Members save an average of 30 percent over traditional retailers. To learn more about Savings Made SimpleSM, visit SamsClub.com, and look for Samís Club on Twitter and Facebook.
Samís Club Giving
Samís Club supports community-based programs that empower young people, families and small businesses to make smart choices that lead to healthy and bright futures. Through cash and in-kind donations, as well as the dedication of Associates, Samís Club is committed to making an impact in areas that align with the company, and with the passions and interests of Members. In 2010, the Samís Club Giving Program made cash and in-kind contributions of more than $89 million, which included donating more than 65 million meals.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.