Facelifted Mazda Demio Goes on Sale in Japan
Evolved driving pleasure and best-in-class fuel economy of 30.0 km/L
HIROSHIMA, Japan - Mazda Motor Corporation today commenced sales of the facelifted Mazda Demio at all Mazda, Mazda Anfini and Mazda Autozam dealers throughout Japan. The Demio is Mazda’s mainstay subcompact car and is sold overseas as the Mazda2. Manufacturer’s suggested retail prices (including taxes) range from 1,149,000 yen to 1,621,750 yen. The target sales volume is 6,000 units per month.
The facelifted Demio offers even more of Mazda’s characteristic driving pleasure, a higher quality interior and exterior design, and comprehensive safety features. Additionally, the new “13-SKYACTIV” model grade delivers best-in-class*1 fuel economy of 30.0km/L (10-15 mode test cycle) or 25.0km/L (Japan’s new JC08 test cycle).
With increased body rigidity, thanks to localized reinforcements, and retuned suspension, the new Demio provides outstanding handling, reassuring high-speed stability and a comfortable ride feel. Design improvements, such as updated seat materials and the introduction of Mazda’s new family face, create a higher quality feel. The enhanced safety features include an ELR*2 three-point seatbelt and head rest on the second-row center seat.
The new 13-SKYACTIV model grade achieves best-in-class*1 fuel economy thanks to its newly-developed 1.3-liter direct injection “SKYACTIV-G 1.3” gasoline engine. It is also the first Demio to feature Mazda’s unique idling stop system, i-stop. The 13-SKYACTIV provides an improved engine sound, reduced wind noise thanks to sound-insulating glass, and more controlled airflow across the top and bottom surfaces of the body. The result is a higher quality ride and more energetic performance at mid- to high-speeds.
The 13-SKYACTIV comes with a new technology called “intelligent-Drive Master” (i-DM) that supports economic and enjoyable driving. Its extensive list of standard features also includes i-stop, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS) and exclusive 14-inch alloy wheels. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price starts from an affordable 1,400,000 yen (including taxes).
Mazda expects the 13-SKYACTIV to be the core model grade in the freshened range, making up approximately 60 percent of Demio sales.
Main features of the facelifted Mazda Demio
1. Breakthrough engine technologies that achieve 30.0km/L (10-15 mode) or 25.0km/L (JC08)
The newly developed 1.3-liter direct injection SKYACTIV-G 1.3 gasoline engine is highly efficient thanks to the world’s highest*3 compression ratio of 14.0:1. The model grade equipped with this engine, the Mazda Demio 13-SKYACTIV, offers exceptional fuel economy of 30.0km/L (10-15 mode) or 25.0km/L (JC08).
- A cooled EGR*4 system cools part of the exhaust gas and returns it to the combustion chamber in order to suppress knocking.
- Newly developed multi-hole fuel injectors with six injection nozzles effectively suppress knocking by using the latent heat of vaporization to cool the combustion chambers.
- Specially designed piston cavities prevent the flame coming in contact with the piston heads to reduce the combustion time and decrease cooling losses.
- Mazda’s first dual sequential valve timing system (dual S-VT with electronically-operated intake) contributes to high power output and low fuel consumption.
- Reduced mechanical friction in the engine – due to lighter pistons, conrods and other parts, and low-tension piston rings – decreases energy loss.
- An updated version of Mazda’s idling stop system, i-stop, operates with a higher frequency, requires less fuel to restart, and achieves a smoother restart.
2. A high-quality and comfortable driving feel that enhances enjoyment
An improved driving feel provides a balance of precise controllability, high-speed stability and a comfortable ride feel.
The Demio 13-SKYACTIV model grade delivers a linear and pleasing ride. Drivers can enjoy a sense of Toitsukan, where one vehicle movement flows smoothly into the next, whether running, turning or stopping.
- All grades offer a more comfortable ride and enhanced stability thanks to increased body rigidity, retuned dampers, and improved bush characteristics for the rear trailing arm mounts.
- The 13-SKYACTIV model grade uses drive force control that optimizes torque delivery from the engine and continuously variable transmission (CVT). It responds precisely to slight movements of the accelerator pedal to provide the desired level of acceleration for smooth and linear vehicle movement.
- The 13-SKYACTIV model grade uses aero parts – including an engine under cover and rear roof spoiler – to control airflow above and below the body. It achieves a top class drag coefficient (Cd) of 0.29, and improved fuel economy and stability when driving at high speed.
3. “intelligent-Drive Master” (i-DM): the world’s first driver aid that improves driving style and fuel economy
Mazda’s newly developed i-DM supports enjoyable driving while encouraging a driving style that enhances passenger comfort and improves fuel economy. Equipped on the 13-SKYACTIV model grade, the i-DM monitors the movement of the steering wheel and accelerator and brake pedals and vehicle speed. It displays a real-time evaluation of the driver’s driving style using a gauge and colored lights on the dashboard. At the end of each trip, the system provides a driving score and advice. The score from each trip is used to calculate a driving skill level, from Stage 1 to Stage 3. By progressing through the stages, drivers can feel that their driving skills are improving.
4. Sporty and high-quality design
Mazda’s new family face, a five-point grille used throughout the lineup, enhances the sporty look of the front design. Inside, the design of the seats and other parts has been updated to create a higher quality feel. Additionally, the 13-SKYACTIV model grade has exclusive design features, including a blue metallic engine cover, blue headlight rings and an exclusive rear badge, that reflect the pure and clean concept of Mazda’s breakthrough SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY.
- Premium seat upholstery, a black meter panel, silver instrument panel garnish and other new features improve the quality feel and visual appeal.
- A renewed interior color lineup includes a choice of Black or Light Gray*5 (except the SPORT model grade) and a special color for the SPORT model grade, Sporty Black.
- The 13-SKYACTIV model grade is equipped with exclusive 14-inch alloy wheels, and newly designed 16-inch alloy wheels are equipped on the SPORT model grade.
- A choice of 11 exterior body colors is available, including two new colors, Burgundy Red Mica and Aquatic Blue Mica (exclusive to the 13-SKYACTIV model grade).
- All grades are newly equipped with a trip computer that displays information such as real time fuel economy and average fuel economy.
- The 15C (with CVT), 13C-V and 13C (with a four-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission) model grades feature Mazda’s eco-lamp.
5. Outstanding safety features
The facelifted Mazda Demio comes with enhanced safety equipment. Advanced active safety features complement passive safety features, such as Mazda’s Advanced Impact-energy Distribution and Absorption System, that provide high-level protection in the event of a collision.
- All grades*6 are newly equipped with a, ELR*7 three-point seatbelt and head rest on the second-row center seat.
- The 13-SKYACTIV model grade features Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Mazda’s Traction Control System (TCS).
- In the 13-SKYACTIV model grade, the DSC is built into the electronically-controlled brake-assist system.
6. Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
Mazda records and analyses the vehicle data necessary to perform a vehicle Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). The facelifted Mazda Demio will produce 11 percent less carbon dioxide (CO2), 6 percent less nitrous oxide (NOx), 5 percent fewer non-methane hydrocarbons (NMHC), and 7 percent less sulphur oxide (SOx) over its lifetime than the previous model.
*1 Among 1.3-liter mass-production vehicles, not including hybrids (as of May 2011, Mazda data)
*2 Emergency Locking Retractor
*3 Among 1.3-liter mass-production vehicles (as of May 2011, Mazda data)
*4 EGR: Exhaust Gas Recirculation
*5 Available with some factory-installed options on the 13-SKYACTIV and 13C (FWD) grades
*6 Available as a factory-installed option on the 13-SKYACTIV and 13C (FWD) grades
*7 ELR: Emergency Locking Retractor
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.