Eni announces a major oil discovery in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico
Eni owned lease interests in 333 blocks in the US Gulf of Mexico and is among the leading producers with a daily net production capacity in excess of 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent (60% operated)
San Donato Milanese (Milan), – Eni announces a major oil discovery in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico while drilling the Hadrian North Prospect, the first Exploration well it participated since the drilling moratorium was lifted.
During drilling at the Hadrian North Prospect (KC919-3), Eni confirmed the presence of a major oil accumulation in the Keathley Canyon Block 919. The well encountered about 150 meters of net oil pay and minor amounts of gas in high quality sandstones of Pliocenic age. The well, which is still drilling to reach deeper targets, is located 250 miles southwest of New Orleans in approximately 2100 meters of water.
The JV is now evaluating to determine the best way to safely develop these resources as rapidly as possible.
Eni holds a 25 percent working interest in KC919-3, together with Petrobras (25%) and ExxonMobil (50% Operator).
Eni owned lease interests in 333 blocks in the US Gulf of Mexico and is among the leading producers with a daily net production capacity in excess of 100,000 barrels of oil equivalent (60% operated). Eni is also present in Alaska, where it owns interests in 140 leases between offshore and the North Slope and is currently operating the Nikaitchuq oil project.
In 2009, Eni joined Quicksilver Resources Inc., an independent US natural gas producer, in the development of the “Alliance Area” with the acquisition of 27.5% interest. This area produces unconventional gas (shale gas) from the Barnett Shales in the Fort Worth Basin. This discovery further strengthens Eni’s role as an important player in the Gulf of Mexico Exploration and Production activities.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.