Symantec NetBackup Adds Intelligent Policy Technology to Automatically Discover and Protect Virtual Machines
NetBackup 7 enhancements make it easier to deploy deduplication and provides faster recovery of virtual machines
Mountain View, Calif. – – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced enhancements to NetBackup 7 that simplify data protection in virtual environments. The latest release introduces Virtual Machine Intelligent Policy technology for VMware environments to automate the discovery and protection of virtual machines while enforcing existing data protection policies. Unlike other data protection solutions, this technology will accelerate the transition to a virtual environment for enterprise organizations deploying a large number of virtual machines or building a private cloud infrastructure.
“Virtualization has changed how organizations back up data, and NetBackup continues to evolve to protect our customers’ information within virtual environments,” said Brian Dye, vice president of product management, Symantec NetBackup. “NetBackup 7 eases the management of protecting and recovering data within physical and virtual environments through a single solution, while reducing data stores with integrated deduplication at the source or media server using NetBackup or NetBackup appliances.”
For deeper dive into what’s new with NetBackup 7, read the following blog post:
* NetBackup 7.1 Features – Virtual Machine Intelligent Policy
In addition to award-winning support for virtual machines, NetBackup 7 delivers simplified reporting, faster disaster recovery when using NetBackup deduplication, and further supports Oracle and MySQL database applications. Symantec also offers an easy “one-step” upgrade to NetBackup 7 from older versions, including NetBackup 6.0 and 6.5 to meet the needs of its customers. Symantec NetBackup appliances provide organizations with a fast and proven alternative to upgrade their environment to NetBackup 7.
New Features and Benefits:
* A faster path to the virtual datacenter: Virtual Machine Intelligent Policy technology adds automation to the discovery and protection of virtual machines and minimizes the administration effort required for high performance VMware virtual machine backups through greater awareness of VMware vSphere® resource usage.
* 50 Percent Faster Virtual Machine Backup: Patented Granular Recovery Technology (GRT), which supports instant file or folder recovery from virtual machine image backups, is now available for Linux systems in VMware environments. This allows customers to reduce comparable virtual machine backup times by up to 50 percent, simplify administration and improve the speed of recovery for individual files.
* On-Demand Recovery From Anywhere: New auto image replication technology allows customers who replicate data between multiple sites or NetBackup domains to make the backup data at an alternate site instantly available to NetBackup for faster disaster recovery.
* Accelerate Recovery: NetBackup RealTime, which provides customers with continuous data protection, now supports VMware environments to eliminate the backup window, reduce impact for very large VMware hosts and enable near-instant recovery of entire systems.
* Meet Compliance and Regulatory Requirements: NetBackup 7 now has greater audit trail capabilities to help backup administrators support compliance and regulatory requirements.
* Central Control: NetBackup OpsCenter, which delivers a single management view of any Symantec data protection environment, adds improved reports for storage lifecycle policies, audit trails and licensing. New tools, such as the workload analyzer, allow customers to better tailor operations to maximize hardware usage.
* Deduplication for Oracle: Enhanced Oracle database agent further improves backup and deduplication performance.
* MySQL Support: NetBackup adds a new agent to centralize and automate backup and recovery of MySQL databases.
* Client Upgrades Simplified: Improvements to the LiveUpdate capability allow client upgrades for UNIX, Linux and Windows from version NetBackup 6.5 and later from a single policy controlled by the NetBackup administrator.
About Storage from Symantec
Symantec helps organizations secure and manage their information-driven world with storage management, email archiving, backup & recovery solutions.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.