Finalists announced for Philips Livable Cities Award
Amsterdam, The Netherlands – Royal Philips Electronics (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHI) has today announced the eight finalists selected for the Philips Livable Cities Award, a global initiative designed to generate practical, achievable ideas for improving the health and well-being of city-dwellers across the world.
The winners will be revealed on 27 April 2011, and will be awarded three grants totaling €125,000 (€75,000 for the overall winner, with two additional winners receiving grants of €25,000 each).
“The Award judging panel had a difficult task selecting the finalists from more than 450 ideas submitted from 29 countries around the world, given the high quality of entries received,” commented Richard Florida, Professor, Author and Chair of the Philips Livable Cities Award expert panel. “Having conducted a rigorous review, the panel is excited by the breadth of thinking displayed by the final eight which demonstrated the innovation necessary to help ensure the future livability and prosperity of our cities.”
The eight finalists represent a truly global picture of the issues faced by city-dwellers across the world, from a proposed street park project in Argentina to a rainwater aggregation scheme in Yemen. The other finalists include a health education initiative for deaf children in Kenya, a neighborhood network scheme in Nigeria, shade stands in Uganda, a digital networking tool in the UK, and two schemes from the USA - a smart grid athletic light and a design-your-own-park project.
“Philips is proud to be associated with the passion, imagination and vision people across the world have demonstrated in submitting entries for the Philips Livable Cities Award,” said Katy Hartley, Director of the Philips Center for Health & Well-being and member of the Philips Livable Cities Award judging panel. “The Award aims to encourage practical and implementable initiatives that can help solve urban issues such as the need for safe streets, access to healthcare or healthy urban lifestyles.”
Philips is inviting members of the public to assist the Philips Livable Cities Award judging panel in selecting the overall winner by voting for their favorite finalist. By casting a vote for their favorite entry, there’s also the chance to win a place at the Award ceremony in Amsterdam to join the celebrations.
About Philips Livable Cities Award
• The Philips Livable Cities Award is a global initiative designed to encourage people to develop practical, achievable ideas for improving the health and well-being of people in cities – ideas which can be translated into reality.
• The Award was open to individuals, community groups, NGOs and businesses.
• More than 450 ideas from 29 countries were entered into the competition.
• Entries are grouped into three categories, exploring how best to improve health and well-being in our cities:
• Well-being Outdoors: Initiatives that will help make citizens feel safe and secure in public spaces, or help create city identity and foster a sense of belonging;
• Independent Living: Initiatives that will help the growing number of elderly people living alone to feel secure and comfortable in a city, and/or enable them to live longer at home with the appropriate access to healthcare;
• Healthy Lifestyle at Work and Home: Initiatives that will support a healthy body and mind, whether through a person’s surroundings or other essentials such as exercise, sleep and diet.
About Royal Philips Electronics
Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHI) is a diversified health and well-being company, focused on improving people’s lives through timely innovations. As a world leader in healthcare, lifestyle and lighting, Philips integrates technologies and design into people-centric solutions, based on fundamental customer insights and the brand promise of “sense and simplicity”. Headquartered in the Netherlands, Philips employs 119,000 employees in more than 60 countries worldwide. With sales of EUR 25.4 billion in 2010, the company is a market leader in cardiac care, acute care and home healthcare, energy efficient lighting solutions and new lighting applications, as well as lifestyle products for personal well-being and pleasure with strong leadership positions in flat TV, male shaving and grooming, portable entertainment and oral healthcare.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.