Symantec Delivers Industry First Appliance with Backup, Deduplication and Storage Capabilities
Symantec NetBackup 5200 helps enterprise organizations reduce growing data stores, reduce complexity and ease deployment
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the NetBackup 5200 appliance series to help customers expand their data protection infrastructure with an easy to deploy, all-in-one hardware and software backup solution that integrates deduplication to reduce storage. With NetBackup 5200, Symantec is continuing to deliver on its strategy to provide customers the flexibility to manage information in a way that makes the most sense for their IT environment with software, appliances and cloud-based solutions.
NetBackup 5200 is the first appliance to offer backup administrators a choice of client or target deduplication based on the type of data being protected. NetBackup 5200 client deduplication eliminates redundant data at the information source, which leads to lower bandwidth utilization and 10 times faster backups. For client machines that do not have sufficient CPU cycles for deduplication, the deduplication processing can be moved to the NetBackup 5200 appliance.
Click to Tweet: Symantec NetBackup 5200 appliance helps customers expand data protection, backup, dedup: http://bit.ly/fS5SNw
“The NetBackup 5200 appliance capitalizes on Symantec’s long-term market leadership with Symantec NetBackup software,” said Brian Dye, vice president of product management, Information Management Group, Symantec. “We listened to our customers and delivered our award winning NetBackup 7 software in a box that is easy to deploy, easy to configure and tightly integrates management and licensing into their existing NetBackup environment.”
Symantec is also expanding its NetBackup 5000 dedicated deduplication appliance series, announced in September 2010, with the NetBackup 5020 appliance which increases backup capacity from 16 TB per node to 32 TB per node. The NetBackup 5020 is ideal for remote office, virtual machine and data center backups.
Symantec NetBackup 5200 Appliance Overview:
* A ready-to-go, complete backup and deduplication solution with 32 TB of usable dedupe capacity that can be used in primary, secondary and remote sites and managed through one console
* All NetBackup software agents can be used with NetBackup 5200 to simplify protection of critical applications and databases
* Integrated software and hardware reduces installation and management costs
* Front end TB licensing model for deduplication allows customers to save costs as there is no additional charge for replicating data
* Built-in source and media server deduplication in an appliance moves benefits of deduplication beyond the box and closer to the source for faster backups of physical, virtual, and remote systems.
* Powerful and flexible deduplication process meets more data center needs with both inline and post process deduplication modes of operation
* Delivers heterogeneous support for all major platforms and applications including award winning virtual machine protection capabilities
* Easily fits into existing NetBackup environments or new ones without a separate management console, allowing customers to quickly update or expand their backup infrastructure
* Easy to maintain with a single point of contact for both software and hardware technical support
* “As we move all of our primary backups to disk, adding Symantec NetBackup 5200 appliances to our environment was a natural next step. We talked to a handful of other appliance vendors, but being able to tie NetBackup 5200 into our existing NetBackup environment helped us save on costs and maintenance. The ease of implementation and configuration was also a driving force.” – Tommy Meek, systems operations manager for the storage and backup team, Cbeyond
* “Our IT landscape has evolved and one of our objectives is to significantly reduce the use of tape for backup and recovery. We conducted proof of concept testing with multiple vendors and found the NetBackup 5020 appliance had a mature deduplication technology that was easy to use. Integration with our current NetBackup environment also allowed us to reduce complexity, reduce number of vendors and ensure sustainability of our infrastructure over the long haul.” – Dan Trim, director of IT infrastructure, Health Alliance Plan
* “We put a lot of time and research into purchasing a deduplication appliance that would best meet our IT goals of eliminating tapes, becoming more efficient, reducing LAN and WAN traffic, and having built in, off-site replication capabilities. Ultimately, Symantec sold us on the benefits of the NetBackup 5000 appliance since it is an easily scalable solution that allows us to grow our backup environment more gradually than other vendors’ solutions. As a long time NetBackup customer, we were confident in the Symantec team and that made our decision a lot easier.” – TJ Sylvester, regional IT manager, Infor
The NetBackup 5200 appliance is available now in the US, UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Singapore and Australia, and the NetBackup 5020 appliance is available now in the US. Both appliances will roll out in additional countries in a phased approach as demand increases.
About Storage from Symantec
Symantec helps organizations secure and manage their information-driven world with storage management, email archiving, backup & recovery solutions.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
Note to Editors: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward-looking Statements: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.