OnStar Leverages The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Network To Drive The Future Of In-Vehicle Services
OnStar Shows Prototype Applications for Entertainment, Communications and Safety Based on 4G LTE Mobile Broadband
BASKING RIDGE, NJ — From the 2011 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), OnStar today unveiled a demonstration of prototype applications for what future in-vehicle entertainment, communications and safety could look like when taking advantage of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network.
OnStar has equipped a Buick LaCrosse research vehicle to show these applications in the Verizon Wireless booth at the show. Any future streaming video capabilities would be either available solely in the rear seat of the vehicle or only when the vehicle is in park. Among the innovative services made possible by combining the power of OnStar with the speed of 4G:
* Vehicle monitoring – Cameras mounted throughout the interior and exterior of the car allow remote viewing of what is happening in and around your parked vehicle through a smartphone or PC.
* Impact detection – The research vehicle has the ability to send live video to secure servers in the cloud from each of its six cameras placed around the exterior and interior of the vehicle. This is triggered by events around the car or by an application on a smartphone. When an impact such as a parking lot fender-bender is detected, the vehicle transmits a video clip, helping to identify the offending driver.
* Home monitoring and control – Keep an eye on your home by connecting to security cameras in real-time through the 4Home service. Control the thermostat, lights and other home systems from your vehicle – “preset” scenes allow you to condition your home when you leave, before you return or when you’re leaving for an extended period of time.
* Electronic User’s Guide – Learn how to operate and maintain your vehicle through videos streamed on demand to the dashboard.
* Video chat – Make a video call using Skype to connect with family, friends or colleagues.
* Traffic view – A voice-operated navigation system goes beyond calculating the best route by displaying live traffic-cam images from TrafficLand to spot congestion before you get stuck in a backup.
“The true broadband speed of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network gives our engineers the freedom to re-imagine the world of connected in-vehicle services in the future,” said OnStar President Chris Preuss. “While we haven’t decided yet which of these demonstration features OnStar will offer or when, these prototype applications show just some of what’s possible when we combine our 15 years experience in developing safe, secure and leading edge connected mobility solutions with the speed and agility of Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network. Any future services from OnStar will also meet our high standards for safety – making sure that drivers’ hands are on the wheel and their eyes are on the road.”
The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network, launched in December 2010, is the fastest, most advanced 4G network in the United States, providing speeds up to10 times faster than Verizon Wireless’ 3G network. Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network currently reaches one-third of all Americans, with plans to expand the network to the company’s entire 3G coverage area over the next three years.
OnStar’s prototype applications are the result of collaboration with Verizon Wireless’ LTE Innovation Center. The LTE Innovation Center, established in 2008, provides an environment for diverse companies to work together to develop innovative products that leverage 4G LTE technology.
OnStar’s Buick LaCrosse research vehicle will be highlighted from Jan. 6-9 in the Verizon Wireless booth at CES (#35216 in the South Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center). OnStar collaborated with many companies on this research project, including Skype (www.skype.net), Trafficland (www.trafficland.com), and 4Home (www.4home.com). For more information about OnStar, visit www.onstar.com.
For more information about the LTE Innovation Center and Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network, visit www.verizonwireless.com/lte.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, and serves more than 93 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 80,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com
OnStar, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Motors, is the leading provider of connected safety and security solutions, value-added mobility services and advanced information technology. Currently available on more than 40 MY 2011 GM models, OnStar soon will be available for installation on most other vehicles already on the road through local electronics retailers, including Best Buy. OnStar safely connects its more than six million subscribers, in the U.S., Canada and China, in ways never thought possible. OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is a recipient of the 2010 Edison Award for Best New Product in the technology category. More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.