Exclusive! Tony Winner Alice Ripley on Her New Album of Rock Covers, Daily Practice: Volume 1
Tony Award winner Alice Ripley is prepping a new solo recording for Sh-K-Boom Records, the same label that released her 2000 debut album Everything’s Fine and the acclaimed original cast recording of Next to Normal. Daily Practice: Volume 1 will feature acoustic covers of songs from artists like Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Carole King, Alanis Morissette, Carly Simon and U2.
“It’s a collection of songs that I play every day,” Ripley told Broadway.com in an exclusive chat about the new CD. “I pick up my guitar every day, especially at times where I don’t know where I am or who I am. My guitar reminds me... Reminds me of why I wanted to sing and who I am and what I have to say.”
Ripley first began playing the songs publicly during recent concerts at Backstage Dopo Teatro after finishing her Tony-winning run in Next to Normal. “I have my own songs that I’ve written, and I’ve had things to say through my songs, but these songs are covers of rock tunes that influenced me at a young age and made me want to sing, made me want to write and basically have kept me alive.”
Ripley is currently reprising her role as Diana in Next to Normal at the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles, the first stop of the musical’s national tour. Her other Broadway credits include Sunset Boulevard, Side Show, Les Miserables and The Rocky Horror Show. In addition to Everything’s Fine, she has released albums from her band RIPLEY and two recordings with her Side Show co-star Emily Skinner.
Produced by Ripley and Sh-K-Boom founder Kurt Deutsch, Daily Practice: Volume 1 is the first of an intended series of cover albums by the songstress. It is expected to be released in early 2011.
The final track list is as follows:
1. “Message in a Bottle” - Written by Sting
2. “It’s Too Late” - Written by Carole King & Toni Stern
3. “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” - Written by Victor Reina, Larry Mullen, Paul David Hewson, Dave Evans & Adam Clayton
4. “You Oughta Know” - Written by Alanis Morissette & Glen Ballard
5. “Essence” - Written by Lucinda Williams
6. “Thunder Road” - Written by Bruce Springsteen
7. “The Flyer” - Written by Nanci Griffith
8. “Take It Easy” - Written by Jackson Browne & Glenn Frey
9. “Everybody Hurts” - Written by William Berry, Peter Buck, Michael Mills & Michael Stipe
10. “Anticipation” - Written by Carly Simon
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.