100% Electric Zero-emission Nissan LEAF Debuts in Japan Start of sales on December 20th
YOKOHAMA - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today announced the launch of the all-new 100% electric, zero-emission Nissan LEAF, which goes on sale December 20th at Nissan dealers nationwide. It will be followed by the United States, also in December, and in select European markets in early 2011. Release in other global markets is set for 2012.
Nissan LEAF is a newly developed EV designed for the mass market, offering new mobility for a sustainable zero-emission society. Achieving outstanding environmental performance as a zero-emission vehicle with no tailpipe emissions, including CO2, Nissan LEAF is powered by a lithium-ion battery and an electric motor. It provides unique driving experience, delivering strong, smooth acceleration performance and quietness comparable to luxury vehicles in every speed range. It also offers superior handling stability realized by its excellent weight balance.
As a specifically designed electric vehicle, Nissan LEAF supports the comfortable life and completely new values that an EV provides. With enough interior space to accommodate five adults, Nissan LEAF features a driving range of 200 km (on JC08 mode), enough to satisfy the needs of most customers. Nissan LEAF also utilizes an advanced IT system, providing customers with convenient functional support.
The price of Nissan LEAF starts from 3,764,250 yen, including the consumption tax. Since customers in Japan are eligible to receive up to 780,000 yen*1 through government EV incentives for fiscal year 2010, the consumer’s net price for Nissan LEAF starts from 2,984,250 yen. Nissan LEAF also qualifies for preferential tax breaks under the Japanese “tax system to promote the diffusion of environmentally friendly vehicles” as next generation automobiles, thereby fully exempting it from the automobile acquisition tax and automobile weight tax until fiscal year 2011. Since it also qualifies for the “Automobile Green Tax Scheme,” the automobile tax is reduced by 50% for one year starting from the next fiscal year following registration*2.
To help ensure comfortable, convenient and safe use of the new EV, Nissan offers a “Nissan zero-emission Support Program” for individual customers. The program which includes EV-IT communication charge, maintenance support such as regular inspections and the first car safety inspection, charging at Nissan dealers, discount service for Nissan Rentacar and emergency support in case of trouble - at the monthly rate of 1,500 yen. For corporate customers, Nissan provides “Nissan EV Fleet Maintenance Service.”
Nissan dealers nationwide also provide “one-stop service” - from vehicle purchase to arranging for the preparation of a charging environment for detached houses. In addition, 200-volt normal charging is available at about 2,200 Nissan dealers nationwide. About 200 of these dealers are equipped with quick chargers that can charge the battery up to 80% of its full capacity in about 30 minutes. At least one quick-charge unit is available within a 40-kilometer radius throughout the country for the convenience of Nissan LEAF drivers.
With the goal of becoming a global leader in zero-emission mobility, Nissan, in conjunction with Renault, has signed more than 80 partnerships for zero-emission mobility with governments, municipalities and companies worldwide.
Key features of the new Nissan LEAF are:
* Unique driving experience
* Always “connected”
Overview of Nissan LEAF
1. An advanced EV powertrain that supports “zero-emission”
The all-new Nissan LEAF is designed to provide “unique driving experience” with extraordinary acceleration performance, quietness and handling stability. Key powertrain components include:
High capacity lithium-ion battery (storage battery)
* Vehicle performance, cost and interior comfort are greatly affected by the battery. Nissan LEAF adopts a lightweight, compact, high-capacity lithium-ion battery that achieves double the energy density compared to a conventional EV battery (such as used on the Nissan Hypermini, which was first released in February 2000). Delivering 24 kWh battery capacity and maximum power output of more than 90 kWh, a full charge provides a driving range of 200 km (on JC08 mode).
* Nissan LEAF’s advanced battery design utilizes a thin, compact laminated cell structure. The simple configuration of the individual cells, the smallest unit of the battery, allows a high battery capacity - along with very practical and flexible packaging without sacrificing interior comfort. Since the laminated cells have a large surface area and excellent cooling performance, stable performance is ensured in various usage environments. The structure also reduces cost through less parts complexity.
* Since manganese, which is used for positive electrode, is an abundant resource, with stable spinel structure, low cost and high reliability are ensured.
* The battery pack is fitted below the floorboard at the center of the body, providing superior weight balance and a low center of gravity. In addition to enhancing body rigidity, this helps provide responsive handling.
* A three-phase AC synchronous motor delivering maximum power output of 80kW and maximum torque of 280N・m is used, which can instantly generate maximum torque from a starting position. With Nissan’s proprietary motor control technology, strong continuous acceleration with instantaneous force - which cannot be provided by a gasoline vehicle - is realized. Nissan LEAF’s acceleration performance in the low-to-medium speed range is equivalent to that of a 3.0-liter gasoline engine vehicle, and offers a maximum speed of 145km/h.
* Unlike a gasoline engine, no vibrations are generated by the electric motor. This, along with and adoption of superior noise insulation technology, helps Nissan LEAF achieve extraordinary quiet operation.
* When the vehicle is decelerating, part of the braking energy is regenerated as electric power. This energy can be reused with this system.
* The inverter controls power output from the motor by controlling the current, converting direct current into alternating current. Its components, including the power module, are originally developed by Nissan.
* Since electric components such as the audio system, headlights and the navigation system are operated at 12V voltage, the lithium-ion battery’s voltage of 360V for driving is reduced through a DC/DC converter for charging a 12V battery.
Special EV platform
* A spacious interior environment is provided by the new, specially designed EV platform and compact lithium-ion battery. Nissan LEAF’s cargo space capacity is 330L, which provides room for carrying two 9-inch golf bags without folding rear seats.
* Capacity under the waist level (calculation based on the VDA method)
* A flat, smooth floor configuration, unlike a gasoline vehicle, contributes to reduced air resistance.
* Vehicle body rigidity is improved through adopting a double frame structure and front joint configuration, helping provide stable ride comfort and direct, responsive handling.
2. Unique EV design, advanced features
Along with its special EV platform and advanced drivetrain technology, Nissan LEAF offers uniquely designed EV exterior styling and an interior with advanced EV features and equipment.
Created around the principle of “smart fluidity,” Nissan LEAF offers smart styling with the ultimate level of flowing lines and aerodynamics.
* Replacing a gasoline engine with a compact motor allows the use of a simple front-end design without a radiator grille. Its flowing lines are linked to a large roof spoiler expressing dynamic movement in the rear.
* The large vertically oriented LED headlights feature a sophisticated original design that is unique to the Nissan EV. The headlights protrude from the body and are positioned in a deep V-shape to help control airflow to the side mirrors and reduce drag and wind noise - a critical design consideration since wind noise is more noticeable in EVs with their quiet motor operation.
* A cross section of the roof antenna has a newly adopted shape, which helps reduce wind noise.
* Excellent aerodynamics performance is realized through the use of thin, high-intensity LED rear combination lamps and a large diffuser with an aero fin mounted below the rear bumper - which features pronounced corners and no tailpipe.
* A solar cell module is adopted to provide an auxiliary charge for the 12V battery used for the navigation system and other equipment. (Standard on G grade)
* Nissan LEAF is available in a choice of five exterior colors, including Aqua Blue (three-coat pearl metallic) - a new color inspired by the view of Earth as seen from space.
* An EV Iconic Blue is used as an accent color to evoke the image of Nissan LEAF in various components, including the headlight inner units and the emblem.
Nissan LEAF’s simple and elegant interior creates a light, clean and open EV image.
* The simple yet elegant interior space is equipped with features that provide great visibility, operability and a comfortable feel to the touch, helping provide outstanding comfort. The interior is offered in a light, refreshing color, Airy Grey.
* The door trim combines synthetic leather and suede materials where it touches the body, providing a comfortable and soft feeling, while plated inside door handles express a luxury feel. The seat cloth is made of recycled plastic bottles and provides a suede-like texture and comfortable feel to the touch.
* A flat-panel center cluster, designed like an advanced, smart digital device, has switches of the same shape, creating a sense of unity. With functions concentrated in the one area, user-friendly operation is realized.
* As with the Nissan LEAF exterior, an EV Iconic Blue is used as an interior accent color to intensify the image of EV in various parts, including a CI badge on the steering wheel.
Twin Digital Meter
* Nissan LEAF adopts an elegant twin digital meter layout, with a two-tier display focused on functionality and user-friendliness. An Eco Indicator, which gives the driver instant fuel economy readouts, and the speedometer are shown on the easier-to-read upper meter. ECO TREE* shows cumulative results of eco driving. On the lower meter, a Power Meter displaying power output and regeneration of the lithium-ion battery and a Multi Information Display, which imparts charging and electricity efficiency information, battery remaining capacity, driving range and various warnings, are shown.
* ECO TREE is a trademark of Hino Motors, Ltd.
* A new mouse-type electric shift can easily be operated just with a flick of the wrist by wrapping the palm around it. Nissan’s first by-wire system provides a light operational feeling.
* When the power switch is on and the vehicle is ready to start, a pleasant tone (rather than a harsh engine sound) tells the driver that the vehicle is ready. The driver can easily switch between a choice of three different sounds. Along with the Twin Digital Meter, hospitality and a sophisticated EV feel is provided.
“Approaching Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians” System
* When driving at a low speed, the “Approaching Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians” system emits a sound to alert pedestrians that a vehicle is approaching.
Charging Method and Equipments
* Charging ports are located in the front hood for “normal charge” and “quick charge.”
* It takes about 8 hours after the charge warning light is on to fully charge the battery for 200V normal charge. The battery can be charged up to 80% in about 30 minutes by quick charge.
* A 7.5-meter charging cable for 200V normal charge is fitted as standard.
* Safe charging is ensured by making a charging cable and charging ports waterproof and by installing drainage ports in the charging connecter and the charging ports. In case water enters and causes a short circuit, a control box that cuts electricity is installed in the charging cable.
3. Information function to be always “connected” to EV
* A global common ICT (Information and Communication Technology) system designed specifically for EV is adopted for application with Nissan LEAF. It not only provides on-board always-connected driving support on the car’s navigation display, but also supports EV driving even before the driver gets in the car and after getting out by accessing a dedicated Website for EV owners via mobile phones (including smart phones) or computers. This ICT system offers features unique to EV, including driving history and battery condition management, remote control for battery charging and climate control, and energy management for the coming renewable energy era. The NISSAN CARWINGS Data Center, an information control center, communicates with the car’s navigation system via the onboard Telematics Communication Unit (TCU). With the ICT system, Nissan LEAF owners are connected at all times to the data and information they need to optimize their EV experience.
- Onboard EV service (while driving)
1. “Expected reachable area map display” function: checks how far Nissan LEAF will be able to travel, accessible with steering wheel switch or by a single touch of the screen.
2. Guidance function: tells charging stations via the navigation system when the battery’s remaining capacity is reduced.
3. “Charging spot update” function: automatically updates data to display neighboring charging stations.
4. “Timer charging” function: charges the battery anytime the owner wishes, e.g., late at night when electricity rates are lower.
- Offboard EV service (before and after driving)
1. “Battery check” function: checks the state of battery charging; “Remote control” function: checks the state of battery charging, controls battery charging, estimates time to finish charging and shows a possible driving range, maintains the battery and makes failure diagnosis.
2. “Remote climate control” function: sets air conditioning via remote control so it can be turned on before the driver enters the vehicle.
3. “Electricity rate simulation” function: checks how much it costs for electricity after driving. “Calculation” function: calculates how much CO2 emissions are expected to be reduced by driving EV.
4. “Ranking” function: Nissan LEAF owners worldwide can compete with each other in electricity consumption, traveling distance and the amount of charge produced by regenerative braking.
5. “Drive plan” function: Creates a driving plan while checking a possible driving range and charging station locations.
- Other Key Safety and Environmental Technologies
* Auto light system (linked wipers, dawn sensors)
* Rear windshield wiper
* LED High-Mount Stop Lamp
* VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) (TCS functionality included)
* ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
* EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution)
* High-strength body construction (Zone Body)
* Body construction for pedestrian protection
* SRS air bag system for driver and front passenger
* SRS side air bag system for driver and front passenger
* SRS curtain air bag system
* 2-stage load limiter equipped double pretensioner seatbelt for driver
* 2-stage load limiter equipped pretensioner seatbelt for front passenger
* Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) 3-point seatbelts for all seats
* Achieving Recoverability Rate 99% and more
Price: X: 3,764,250 yen/ G: 4,060,350 yen, including consumption tax
1. *1: Nissan LEAF qualifies for “Subsidies for measures designed to promote introduction of clean energy vehicles.” Subsidies are granted for the purchase by applying to the Next Generation Vehicle Promotion Center, which conducts examinations and decides to provide subsidies. Some local governments have their own subsidies. As for passenger vehicles for private use, those who receive the subsidies must continuously possess a vehicle for six years.
2. *2: Nissan LEAF qualifies for preferential tax breaks under the “tax system to promote the diffusion of environmentally friendly vehicles” as next generation automobiles, thus they are fully exempt from the automobile acquisition tax on vehicles newly registered by March 31, 2012, and the automobile weight tax on vehicles newly registered by April 30, 2012.
Meanwhile, the automobile tax on vehicles newly registered by March 31, 2012 is reduced by 50% for one year starting from the next fiscal year following the registrations.
Nissan Zero Emission Website
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.