Two Warner Home Video Academy Award Favorites Debut February 15 On Blu-Ray During Award Season
– Burbank, CA – Two of Hollywood’s greatest media-themed films will make their Blu-ray disc debuts from Warner Home Video on February 15, 2011. “All the President’s Men” was voted one of the top 25 “Powerful Political Thrillers” by Entertainment Weekly Magazine and stars Oscar winners Dustin Hoffman (Best Actor in a Leading Role – “Rainman,” “Kramer Vs. Kramer”), Robert Redford (Best Director – “Ordinary People”) and Jason Robards (Best Actor in a Supporting Role – “Julia,” “All The President’s Men”). “Network,” with its biting satire of network television, is as relevant today in the current social media frenzy for undocumented and manufactured news as the day it premiered.
“All the President’s Men,” which won four Academy Awards, deals with the Watergate burglary investigation that ultimately brought down Richard Nixon’s administration. This important chapter of modern American political history is brought to the screen as a faithful adaptation of Woodward and Bernstein’s book chronicling the investigative reporting behind their Pulitzer-prize-winning coverage that changed the face of American politics and redefined the American presidency. The movie was nominated for a total of eight awards; the four wins, in addition to the acting Award, included Adapted Screenplay (William Goldman), Art Direction (George Jenkins/George Gaines) and Sound (Arthur Piantadosi, Les Fresholtz Dick Alexander and James E. Webb). The special Blu-ray packaging includes an original 40-page book with an investigative timeline that includes the admission by “Deep Throat.”
“Network” also debuts on Blu-ray February 15th. Most famous for articulate, eloquent and funny dialogue, this prophetic satire takes equal jabs at the establishment and the counter- revolutionary movement. In addition to four Oscar wins -- Best Actor in a Leading Role (Peter Finch), Best Actress in a Leading Role (Faye Dunaway); Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Beatrice Straight) and Best Writing, Screenplay ( Paddy Chayefsky), the film was nominated for another six other awards -- Best Supporting Actor (William Holden, Ned Beatty), Best Director (Sidney Lumet), Best Cinematography (Owen Roizman), Best Film Editing (Alan Heim) and Best Picture.
“All the President’s Men” Blu-ray Book will be available for $34.99 SRP and “Network” will be available at $19.98 SRP. Orders for both are due January 11, 2011.
More About The Films
”All The President’s Men”
In the Watergate Building, lights go on and four burglars are caught in the act. That night triggered revelations that will drive a U.S. President from office. Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward (Robert Redford) and Carl Bernstein (Dustin Hoffman) grabbed the story and stayed with it through doubts, denials and discouragement. Directed by Alan J. Pakula and based on the Woodward/Bernstein book, the film explores a working newspaper, where the mission is to get the story – and get it right.
• Telling the Truth About Lies: “The Making of ‘All the President’s Men’”
• “Woodward and Bernstein: Lighting the Fire”
• “Out of the Shadows: The Man Who Was Deep Throat”
• Commentary by Robert Redford
• Vintage Featurette “Pressure and the Press: The Making of ‘All the President’s Men’”
• Vintage Jason Robards Interview Excerpt from Dinah!
• Alan J. Pakula Thrillers Trailer Gallery
Newscaster Howard Beale has a message for those who package reports of cute puppies, movie premieres and fender benders as hard news: “I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore.” Sidney Lumet directs Paddy Chayefsky’s satire about the things people do for love…and ratings. Faye Dunaway plays a TV exec guarding ratings like a tigress protecting her cubs; Peter Finch’s airwave rants become a phenomenon and William Holden, Robert Duvall and Beatrice Straight add to the fierce vitality.
• The Making of “Network” 6-Part Documentary: Tune in to “How a Movie Landmark Caught Media Lightning,” with Sidebars on Paddy Chayefsky, “Getting Mad As Hell” and Walter Cronkite’s “Reflections”
• Vintage Paddy Chayefsky Interview Excerpt from Dinah!, Hosted by Dinah Shore
• Commentary by Director Sidney Lumet
• “Private Screenings with Sidney Lumet”: “Turner Classic Movies” Host Robert Osborne Interviews the Director
All special features listed above are subject to change.
Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.
For more information visit: http://warnerblu.warnerbros.com/.
About Warner Home Video:
With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, a division of the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video’s film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.