Air Products Named Gases/Chemicals Subsector Leader andFourth Overall on Maplecroft’s Climate Innovation Indexes
LEHIGH VALLEY, Pa. – Air Products (NYSE:APD) has again been named a Maplecroft Climate Innovation Indexes (CIIs) Leader, ranking first in the chemical industry subsector and fourth overall among the largest U.S. companies evaluated for their climate-related innovation and carbon management programs.
The Maplecroft CIIs are calculated by Bloomberg and based on evaluations by global analysis firm, Maplecroft. An initial universe of approximately 1,300 US stocks with a free-float market capitalization of more than US $1 billion was narrowed to 339 benchmark companies that are engaged in public climate-related programs. From this subset, 100 Maplecroft CII Leaders were determined based on an assessment against more than 100 performance criteria across five major climate innovation categories: management systems, mitigation of emissions, emissions reductions, adaptation and innovation. Fifty percent of the companies’ final rating scores were based on the innovation category, with a focus on new technologies and initiatives that capitalize on climate-related opportunities.
“Our portfolio of offerings that help reduce greenhouse gases and address energy concerns continues to grow and provide sustainable competitive advantage for our customers and for Air Products,” said Pat Loughlin, vice president, Environment, Health, Safety and Quality and chair of Air Products’ Sustainability Council. “We are proud to again be recognized by Maplecroft for that strong pipeline of innovation, financial performance and drive for continuous improvement in emissions management.”
Examples of climate innovation leadership by Air Products include:
* Efficiency-optimized steam methane reforming technology for hydrogen production, enabling global refineries to convert a variety of sour crudes into low-sulfur, cleaner-burning fuel—and more of it;
* Proprietary CO2 capture technology for some of the largest carbon capture and storage demonstration projects in the world, including pre-combustion capture with the US Department of Energy in Texas and oxyfuel-based CO2 capture at Vattenfall AB in Germany; and pilots with the US Department of Energy in Connecticut and Doosan Babcock in Scotland;
* Ceramic ion transport membrane technology in development for more energy-efficient oxygen production;
* World-leading natural gas liquefaction equipment, enabling stranded natural gas to be transported to countries where it provides cleaner burning energy;
* High-purity process gases and cleaning agents for the latest generation photovoltaic solar cell production;and
* Hydrogen fueling infrastructure, including more than 120 fueling stations in 16 countries as well as new, game-changing, compression-less fueling stations being launched later this year.
Beyond these current commercial opportunities, Air Products continues to invest in carbon management research and development, both internal and external, and remains active in a number of initiatives working to combat climate change and advocate pragmatic policies and solutions. The company also has set 2015 intensity-based greenhouse gas emissions and energy reduction goals for its large air separation units and hydrogen production facilities globally. More information is available in the company’s 2010 Global Reporting Initiative-based Sustainability Report:
Access Maplecroft’s methodology, rating tool and results for all companies in the Maplecroft CII family through Bloomberg terminals or at:
“The CIIs are a valuable tool for investors looking to pick winners, as they identify the most resilient, most innovative and best positioned companies to gain competitive advantage in the new low-carbon economy,” stated Maplecroft’s CEO, Professor Alyson Warhurst.
Air Products (NYSE:APD) serves customers in industrial, energy, technology and healthcare markets worldwide with a unique portfolio of atmospheric gases, process and specialty gases, performance materials, and equipment and services. Founded in 1940, Air Products has built leading positions in key growth markets such as semiconductor materials, refinery hydrogen, home healthcare services, natural gas liquefaction, and advanced coatings and adhesives. The company is recognized for its innovative culture, operational excellence and commitment to safety and the environment. In fiscal 2009, Air Products had revenues of $8.3 billion, operations in over 40 countries, and 18,900 employees around the globe. For more information, visit:
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.