Qwest Wires Jeffco Public Schools with Fast and Secure Network
Ethernet Connectivity Helps District Reach Technology Plan Goals
DENVER – Qwest Communications (NYSE: Q) today announced completion of a dedicated 100 Megabit per second (MBPS) network for Colorado’s Jeffco Public Schools. As the school year begins students, facility and administrators in schools and administrative offices will have access to Qwest’s Metro Optical Ethernet (QMOE) high-speed Ethernet data transport service, which delivers bandwidth-rich applications like streaming video across multiple classrooms.
* With QMOE, the district is delivering on its Technology Plan objectives by leveraging its new network to enrich student and teacher achievement through an infrastructure that supports a 21st Century learning environment.
* More than 150 schools and administrative offices are being served by QMOE. The network enhances security between locations and handles sensitive student data in a way that avoids having Internet traffic traverse the public, unsecure network. The fiber-based technology is designed to meet the district’s significant and growing data, video and voice transmission needs as well as load share among mission-critical systems.
* The completed network allows the district to implement a variety of critical e-learning initiatives including online courses, virtual schools, online testing/assessment programs and Internet-based professional development for staff.
* QMOE provides Jeffco Public Schools with scalable bandwidth that allows the district to add or subtract bandwidth as needs arise. It is a critical part of the district’s business continuity plans.
* More and more school districts such as Jeffco are implementing data and IP communications solutions and tapping federal funding like E-rate to create affordable, integrated networks. Those networks support the evolving needs of today’s educators, and the potential of today’s students with feature-rich applications.
Brett Miller, executive director, Infrastructure Services for Jeffco Public Schools:
“Our new Qwest network helps position our students for a bright future by integrating technology to offer a superior education. The financial challenges of late make us acutely aware of our responsibility to ensure resources are invested wisely in the education of our children. Our new Qwest network helps us execute on that goal and is robust enough to grow as we do.”
Sharon Montgomery, vice president, Qwest Government and Education Solutions
“Education is key to developing productive, prosperous communities. That’s why Qwest is proud to support K-12 students and teachers with technology solutions like QMOE. We are equally proud that our customer service, response times, and excellent project management are compelling reasons why Jeffco Public Schools continues to turn to Qwest as its technology partner.”
About Qwest Business
Fortune 500 companies choose Qwest Business to deliver a comprehensive portfolio of data and voice networking communications solutions to enterprises, government agencies and educational institutions of all sizes. The Qwest network backbone covers the entire continental United States and has one of the largest fiber footprints in the U.S., capable of supporting 40 Gbps data transmission rates now and 100 Gbps soon. Go to Qwest.com/business to see why enterprises coast-to-coast rely on Qwest for first-class communications solutions and to learn more about Qwest’s commitment to perfecting the customer experience.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.