Toyota Launches Consolidated R&D and Manufacturing Operations
04/03/2006 Erlanger, KY, April 3, 2006 – Erlanger, KY and Ann Arbor, MI - Toyota announced today that it has finalized the consolidation of its North American engineering and manufacturing operations. The new company, which was announced in December 2004, is called Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, Inc. (TEMA), and was officially launched today.
The leadership of the company will include the following executives:
• Atsushi Niimi, Chairman and CEO of TEMA. Mr. Niimi will also continue in his role as Senior Managing Director of Toyota Motor Corporation at Toyota’s global headquarters.
• Seiichi Sudo, President and COO of TEMA. Mr. Sudo will lead TEMA’s Planning and Operations Centers.
• Yasuhiko Ichihashi, Executive Vice President of TEMA. Mr. Ichihashi will continue as President of Toyota Technical Center.
• Gary Convis, Executive Vice President of TEMA. Mr. Convis will also continue his role as President of Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky.
• Ray Tanguay, Executive Vice President of TEMA. Mr. Tanguay will also continue his role as President of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada.
“TEMA was formed for two key reasons,” said Mr. Sudo. “The company will streamline North American R&D and manufacturing, allowing for better communication between these functions and, ultimately, a faster and more efficient vehicle development process. Additionally, TEMA will strengthen the design and operational capabilities of our team members.”
TEMA will operate with three centers:
• The Toyota Technical Center will continue to direct R&D activities;
• The Toyota Operations Center will lead manufacturing support activities including Production Engineering, Production Control, and Purchasing; and
• The Toyota Planning Center will perform administrative functions such as Human Resources, Accounting & Finance and Information Systems.
TEMA will utilize existing facilities and workforces and there are currently no plans for a new building to house the combined company. The workforce of the combined organizations, including manufacturing operations, will be approximately 28,000.
- Contact Information
- John Hanson
- National Manager, Toyota Communications
- Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, Inc.
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.