Hitachi, Ltd. Celebrates 100 Years of Success
Hitachi Data Systems Continues to Meet Market Needs with Continued Innovation and Vision
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Hitachi Data Systems Corporation congratulates its parent company, Hitachi, Ltd. (NYSE: HIT), on achieving 100 years of innovation and success.
“Celebrating 100 years is an incredible accomplishment and a true testament to the strength of Hitachi,” said Jack Domme, chief executive officer, Hitachi Data Systems. “There are very few global companies today that can claim the longevity and legacy Hitachi has built over the past century. Hitachi Data Systems is proud to be part of a company that’s focused on enhancing society through technology.”
Since its founding in 1910 as an electrical equipment repair shop, Hitachi, Ltd. has evolved into a US$100 billion global corporation that includes many business divisions, companies, technologies, products and solutions. From designing and manufacturing electric power plants to finger vein recognition and RFID technology, to Hitachi Data Systems industry-leading enterprise storage solutions, Hitachi remains unmatched in its technical diversity.
Together, Hitachi Data Systems and Hitachi, Ltd. share a vision that IT must be virtualized, automated, cloud-ready and sustainable. Over the past 15 years, Hitachi Data Systems has a unique history of consistently meeting market needs with innovation.
“One of our key advantages over storage-only vendors is the simple fact that the research talent across the Hitachi Group can be leveraged for strategic benefit to our customers,” said Hu Yoshida, vice president and chief technology officer, Hitachi Data Systems. “Cross-pollination over multiple product disciplines is a strong asset that has contributed to the Hitachi Data Systems product portfolio.”
Founded in 1989, Hitachi Data Systems has a long history of solving customers’ data center issues with a series of innovative, first-to-market solutions. Through this determined focus, Hitachi Data Systems has helped IT professionals transition from traditional mainframe systems of yesteryear to more open systems with the ability to intermix applications and storage on a common platform.
In 1995, Hitachi Data Systems laid the foundation for storage virtualization with the 7700 Architecture by separating the control information from the data cache to enable nondisruptive and dynamic changes in the storage configuration. The next 15 years saw Hitachi evolve and enhance this architecture to meet changing business requirements. These included such instrumental changes as:
* Asynchronous replication to eliminate distance restrictions between recovery sites
* Switch architecture to leverage the consolidation enabled by storage area networks
* Virtual ports and host storage domains for scalable connectivity and safe multitenancy for heterogeneous host servers
* The ability to virtualize and extend enterprise storage services to externally attached heterogeneous storage
* The introduction of dynamic provisioning to simplify and optimize the provisioning of storage and reduce overall storage spending
Today, Hitachi storage efficiency technologies as well as world class services and support provide customers the assurance that they can reclaim unused storage capacity, improve storage utilization and create a dynamic and efficient storage infrastructure that is optimized for their business requirements.
* Enterprise Strategy Group: “For one hundred years, Hitachi has been inventing technologies that really change the way our world works. From IT to transportation, and everything in between, Hitachi has been consistently bringing products and technologies to bear that help us move forward – in business and in life.” ~ Steve Duplessie, founder and senior analyst
* Shoden Data Systems: “Building on Hitachi Data Systems market-leading technology and support, Shoden Data Systems has established a reputation over the last ten years of being a significant and highly respected data center solution provider to many of Southern Africa’s leading organizations. Partnering with Hitachi Data Systems has ensured our position to provide storage solutions for the specific business and operational challenges of our clients. In partnership with Hitachi Data Systems, we look forward to continuing to deliver unrivalled solutions, services and support to our clients.” ~ Marc Trevenen, managing director
* University of Utah Healthcare: “As an academic medical center, we needed a storage solution that offered performance, reliability and scalability. For us, choosing Hitachi Data Systems as not only a technology provider, but also a support and services provider, made perfect sense. In 2004 when we wanted to add virtualization to our system, we chose the Hitachi Universal Storage Platform because it integrates virtualization with the storage area network and not as a separate module. This let us to get the most out of the system. We are confident that Hitachi, as a storage vendor and service provider, is the right vendor for us now and in the future.” ~ Jim Livingston, director, IT
* ViON Corporation: “Hitachi continues to develop technology to meet the changing needs of society and business. This is vital to Hitachi’s growth. As a systems integrator of mission-critical solutions, ViON benefits from working with a company like Hitachi Data Systems for its depth and breadth of innovation and reliability. We look forward to continued success with Hitachi as it lays the groundwork for the next generation of data centers.” ~ Tom Frana, president and CEO
* Hitachi Data Systems virtualization solutions: http://www.hds.com/virtualization
o Hitachi Virtualization Innovation: http://bit.ly/aPzVpf
o Hitachi Universal Storage Platform V: http://bit.ly/cNigj6
o Hitachi Dynamic Provisioning: http://bit.ly/9VUvnF
o Hitachi Tiered Storage Manager: http://bit.ly/aL7kYZ
o Hitachi storage efficiency solutions: http://bit.ly/dui4pZ
o Hitachi server virtualization solutions: http://www.hds.com/solutions
* Blogs: http://blogs.hds.com/hu/, http://blogs.hds.com/michael/
* Videos: http://bit.ly/dD7mU1, http://bit.ly/c2oxsX
* Hitachi’s Centennial Celebration: http://100th.hitachi.com/
* Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HDScorp
About Hitachi Data Systems
Hitachi Data Systems provides best-in-class information technologies, services and solutions that deliver compelling customer ROI, unmatched return on assets (ROA) and demonstrable business impact. With a vision that IT must be virtualized, automated, cloud-ready and sustainable, Hitachi Data Systems offers solutions that improve IT costs and agility. With more than 4,100 employees worldwide, Hitachi Data Systems does business in more than 100 countries and regions. Hitachi Data Systems products, services and solutions are trusted by the world’s leading enterprises, including more than 70 percent of the Fortune 100 and more than 80 percent of the Fortune Global 100. Hitachi Data Systems believes that data drives our world – and information is the new currency. To learn more, visit: http://www.hds.com.
About Hitachi, Ltd.
Hitachi, Ltd., (NYSE: HIT/TSE: 6501), headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, is a leading global electronics company with approximately 400,000 employees worldwide. Fiscal 2008 (ended March 31, 2009) consolidated revenues totaled 10,000 billion yen (US$102.0 billion). The company offers a wide range of systems, products and services in market sectors including information systems, electronic devices, power and industrial systems, consumer products, materials, logistics and financial services. For more information on Hitachi, please visit the company’s website at http://www.hitachi.com.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.