May is Lyme Disease Awarness Month – 5K Raises Funds for Lyme Education
April 21, 2010 – Join the Minnesota Lyme Action Support Group on May 22 for the 4th annual 5K Walk-Run to raise awareness and fund its educational programs. This year’s 5K will be held at Running Aces Harness Park, on a groomed oval track of crushed limestone.
On-site registration begins at 10:00 am., with the 5K starting at 11:00 am. 15201 Zurich Street NE, Columbus MN 55025-7908 Arrive early to cheer on the horses and their sulky drivers as they attempt to qualify for the first harness race of the season, with photo opportunities right at the finish line! Donation “wagers” will be accepted on the harness races, with great prizes for the winning “bets.” All money goes directly to the MLASG activities fund. Harness races begin at 9:00 am.
Participant registration and sponsorships can be submitted on the mlasg.com website; click on “Walk-Run,” to register. Sponsors who submit their contributions by May 1 will get recognized with their name/logo on the event flyers and t-shirt.
What has MLASG accomplished with money raised from past 5Ks?
• Worked with the Forest Lake Community Education Program to sponsor a 2-part series, “Under Our Skin” and “I’ve Been Bitten by a Tick, Now What?”
• Hosted expert speakers on a variety of Lyme-related issues, including 3 national speakers in 2009: Phyllis Mervine, President of the California LDA, Pam Weintraub, author of “Cure Unknown,” and Pat Smith, President of the Lyme Disease Association; other topics include naturopathic Lyme therapies, pain management, and the effects of Lyme disease on the brain.
• Held public screenings of the award winning documentary “Under Our Skin”, a moving examination of the problems faced by Lyme disease patients, including a 3-day event, featuring Jordan Fisher Smith, the park ranger who tells his harrowing story in the film.
• Met with state and federal legislators to increase their understanding of the need for the physician protection bill and additional research funding.
• Worked with state senators John Marty (D-MN) and Ray Vandeveer (R-MN, and state representatives John Ward (D-MN) and Bob Dettmer (R-MN), to craft and pass legislation that will give doctors more freedom to treat Lyme disease (S.F. 1631/HF 2597). This effort directly lead to the MN Board of Medical Practice moratorium on investigations of physicians solely on basis of prescribing long-term antibiotic therapy.
- Contact Information
- Monique Dubos
- PR Director
- Minnesota Lyme Action Support Group
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.