TI introduces single-chip battery fuel gauge with protection
DALLAS - Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) today introduced the industry’s smallest, full-featured battery fuel gauge integrated circuit for portable consumer, commercial and industrial applications. The bq3060 turns a battery into a “smart battery” that measures and maintains an accurate record of available capacity, voltage, current, temperature and other critical parameters for lithium-based batteries. The single chip also provides robust battery safety, including authentication, short-circuit and discharge protection. See: www.ti.com/bq3060-pr.
In addition to maximizing functionality and safety, the bq3060 dramatically reduces cost and size for smart batteries. The device comes in a 24-pin, 7.8-mm x 6.4-mm TSSOP package, and is a 50 percent smaller solution when compared to a high-end fuel gauge. The small size allows the chip to reduce the form factor of battery packs in many portable designs, including portable commercial, medical and test equipment.
Key features of the bq3060:
* Advanced compensated end-of-discharge voltage(CEDV) gaugingto provideprecise gas gauging.
* Ultra-low power consumption mode (less than 69 µA) extends battery run time and shelf life.
* SHA-1 authentication provides a high degree of safety by helping OEMs ensure host-battery compatibility.
* Supports two-wire SMBus 1.1 interface with a high-speed 400-kHz programming option, whichspeeds design and testing ofbattery packs.
Availability and pricing
The bq3060 is available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors. Suggested resale pricing is $3.55 in 1,000-unit quantities. Samples and application notes are available.
Find out more about TI battery fuel gauges and other offerings to simplify design:
* Netbook system block diagram with recommended products: www.ti.com/netbooksbd-pr
* See secondary overvoltage protection ICs for use with bq3060: www.ti.com/bq29410-pr
* Select recommended products using TI’s battery charger selection tool: www.ti.com/batterychargertool-pr
* TI’s complete power management portfolio: www.ti.com/power-3060pr
# # #
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
All trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.