Royal Caribbean International and Cisco Cruise to the Ultimate Guest Experience Aboard the World’s Largest Cruise Ship
Oasis of the Seas Sets Sail With Cisco Mobility and Digital Media Technology to Offer Innovative Services and Amenities That Transform the Guest Experience
MIAMI, Cisco and Royal Caribbean International today announced that Oasis of the Seas, the world’s largest and most revolutionary cruise ship ever built, has been outfitted with a next-generation Cisco® network, powering innovative services and amenities that redefine the guest experience.
As Oasis of the Seas sets sail from its home port of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., it will be outfitted with a Cisco network solution integrating mobility and digital media technologies, making the world’s largest cruise ship also the most technologically advanced.
By engaging closely with Cisco Services on the technical solution architecture, Royal Caribbean has built a revolutionary cruise ship that will transform the ways in which the company interacts with its guests. The Cisco network is flexible and scalable enough so that Royal Caribbean can easily add amenities and services to meet the growing expectations of its guests, now and in the future.
Innovative Solution Architecture Delivers Enhanced Guest Experiences
The following wireless capabilities are among the many services made possible by the Cisco Unified Wireless Network, providing Oasis guests with a level of service and convenience unprecedented in the cruise industry:
* All Oasis waitstaff use wireless point-of-sale (POS) devices, allowing guest purchases to be conveniently processed anywhere on the ship. These devices are also used to obtain electronic waivers from guests for shipboard activities such as rock climbing, ice skating or riding the zip line.
* More than 1,000 Oasis crew members are outfitted with Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phones (model 7925G) to speed the delivery of key guest services throughout the ship.
* A wireless phone will be available for rental to guests aboard Oasis of the Seas cruises beginning sometime in 2010. The phone will let guests call or text other guests and view daily events.
* The phone will also operate as a real-time location tracking device. Children registered in Royal Caribbean’s Adventure Ocean program will wear a tag that sends the phone a wireless signal of their exact location. This is a particularly helpful safety feature for parents who wish to know where their children are aboard the ship at any time.
* More than 900 Cisco wireless access points help ensure pervasive coverage on the ship from bow to stern, enabling all of these amenities and services to be continuously available to guests during their stay.
* The Cisco ASA (Adaptive Security Appliance) delivers comprehensive security for the network while providing high-performance firewalling and virtual private network connectivity.
Digital media systems powered by the Cisco network provide an innovative way to improve the guest experience, delivering entertaining and informational content:
* More than 300 interactive digital signs running on the Cisco network are located across the ship, allowing guests to view dining menus and restaurant availability, watch videos about spa treatments and other services, and check showtimes in the various theaters. These digital signs provide a tremendous value to guests, offering a convenient and relaxing way to plan their daily activities.
* Each of Oasis’ 2,706 staterooms has Internet Protocol television (IPTV), delivering exceptionally high-quality sound and picture. The use of IPTV ensures that programming is reliably delivered to passengers even during severe weather conditions.
Accelerating Business Impact Through Cisco Services and Partner Support
* Cisco Services is a strategic partner to Royal Caribbean, providing a combination of professional and technical services designed to help Royal Caribbean meet its guests’ expectations, gain competitive advantages, align its IT investments to business strategy and support business growth.
* Cisco worked in close collaboration with Insight, a Cisco Gold Certified Partner based in Tempe, Ariz., and Cygate Finland, a Cisco Gold Certified Partner in Espoo, Finland, to successfully roll out the network solution aboard Oasis.
Bill Martin, vice president and chief information officer, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
“Oasis of the Seas delivers a level of technological innovation that is unprecedented in our industry. The Cisco solution is central to the experience and enjoyment of our guests, which is our top priority. Cisco has been a strategic partner throughout this engagement, not only providing the technology, but also consulting with us and ensuring the solution would be architected to deliver maximum benefit to our guests around the world.”
George O’Meara, senior vice president, Cisco Services, United States and Canada
“A new technological benchmark within the travel industry has been set with Oasis of the Seas. The advanced technologies and communications aboard the ship are helping transform the way in which Royal Caribbean interacts with and serves its guests. With the Cisco network as the platform, Royal Caribbean is today setting the industry standard for the connected cruise line of the future.”
Links / URLs
* Catch a glimpse of Oasis of the Seas by viewing the many videos at this online gallery.
* Download photos of Oasis of the Seas (for media use only).
About Oasis of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas is the largest and most revolutionary cruise ship in the world. An architectural marvel at sea, she spans 16 decks, encompasses 225,282 gross registered tons, carries 5,400 guests at double occupancy, and features 2,700 staterooms. Oasis of the Seas is the first ship to tout the cruise line’s new neighborhood concept of seven distinct themed areas, which includes Central Park, Boardwalk, the Royal Promenade, the Pool and Sports Zone, Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center, Entertainment Place and Youth Zone. The ship will sail from her home port of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Additional information is available at www.OasisoftheSeas.com.
About Royal Caribbean International
Royal Caribbean International is a global cruise brand with 21 ships currently in service and one under construction. The line also offers unique cruise tour land packages in Alaska, Canada, Dubai, Europe, and Australia and New Zealand. For additional information or to make reservations, call your travel agent, visit www.royalcaribbean.com or call (800) ROYAL-CARIBBEAN. Travel professionals should go www.cruisingpower.com or call (800) 327-2056.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information on Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco, Cisco Systems, and the Cisco Systems logo are registered trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.