Cisco Showcases Mobility Portfolio with Verizon Wireless’ During CES 2010
Newly Acquired Starent Technology Supports Verizon Wireless’ Ongoing Commitment to Total Customer Satisfaction by Enabling Next-Generation Applications
LAS VEGAS - Cisco today announced today that it will demonstrate its mobility solution portfolio, using newly acquired technology from Starent Networks, with Verizon Wireless during the 2010 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. With Starent, Cisco is a leader in LTE technology, which promises to deliver a rich user experience across multiple access networks through increased radio capacities and higher speed data networks.
As a participant in Verizon Wireless’ LTE Innovation Center and the CES event, Cisco will support several LTE demonstrations utilizing its Packet Data Network Gateway (PGW) solution, which is a key element of the Verizon Wireless’ LTE Evolved Packet Core (EPC) network as well as the overall end-to-end core network offering for mobile and converged service providers. Its Packet Data Network Gateway (PGW) solution is designed to provide mobile operators with the highest levels of flexibility in architecting their networks, combined with superior performance and the intelligence required for high-demand multimedia services and an enhanced subscriber experience. The Verizon Wireless LTE Innovation Center provides an environment for diverse companies to work together to develop innovative products that will leverage 4G LTE technology.
* Both Cisco and Starent Networks have long-standing relationships with Verizon Wireless. In February 2009, Verizon selected Starent Networks as one of its mobile core vendors for its 4G LTE network deployment and is using its multimedia core network equipment to enable next-generation multimedia applications.
* Verizon recently selected Starent’s Gateway GPRS Support Node (GGSN) as part of its mobile core infrastructure. The addition of this functionality will allow Verizon Wireless to provide a more consistent experience to their subscribers when roaming outside North America on GSM/UMTS networks. Verizon Wireless currently offers voice roaming in 215 destinations and data roaming in 195 destinations.
* Working with Starent and other network infrastructure partners, Verizon Wireless completed data calls over its 700 MHz spectrum in Boston and Seattle in August 2009. This marked the next step in deploying its LTE 4G wireless network, which is being built on the 3GPP Release 8 standard.
* Verizon Wireless’ network incorporates leading Cisco technologies, including the Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System, Cisco ASR 9000 Series Routers, Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers and the Starent ST-series to expand both capacity and capabilities of backhaul and packet core for its 3G/4G mobile Internet services.
* “We continually strive to enhance the user experience with mobile multimedia communications and our aggressive build-out of an LTE network will further subscribers’ abilities,” said Tom Sawanobori, vice president network and technology, Verizon Wireless. “Working with our LTE ecosystem partners including Cisco and Starent, we will make a highly mobile, broadband experience a reality for customers.”
* “Our multimedia core solutions provide the flexibility for operators to architect their networks as they see fit, which is especially critical today as we progress to LTE,” said Ash Dahod, senior vice president and general manager, Cisco Mobile Internet Technology Group. “Verizon Wireless has continued to show its innovation and commitment to customer satisfaction and we are very pleased to be a key piece of its LTE ecosystem.”
Cisco, Starent Networks, Verizon Wireless, LTE, EPC, PGW
RSS Feed for Cisco:
* Read more about Cisco’s mobile strategy:
* Read more about Cisco’s mobile internet technology group:
* View the Verizon Wireless video testimonial
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information on Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco, Cisco Systems, and the Cisco Systems logo are registered trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.