HP Delivers Exceptional Value, Performance with New Workstations and Displays
LAS VEGAS, HP added powerful and affordable new workstations and displays to its professional lineup, including the company’s first 14-inch mobile workstation.
Building on HP’s award-winning Z series of workstations, the HP Z200 Workstation offers a new entry point to workstation-class performance at starting prices that rival those of traditional desktop computing systems, making it a great choice for government, education and small businesses. The HP Z200 is ideal for engineers and designers using Autodesk AutoCAD, photographers using Adobe Photoshop® and power office users.
HP also introduced the HP ZR22w and HP ZR24w Performance Displays, providing exceptional visual quality with a new brushed aluminum industrial design, making them a great pairing with HP Z Workstations both in looks and performance.
According to IDC, HP is currently the industry leader with 42.8 percent of the global mobile workstation market.(1) Adding to its award-winning EliteBook notebook lineup, HP introduced the 15-inch diagonal display HP EliteBook 8540w and the 14-inch diagonal display HP EliteBook 8440w. The HP EliteBook 8540w and 8440w feature workstation-caliber graphics that are tested, optimized and certified to run the most demanding professional applications for mobile power users.
“As professional applications move into 3-D, more and more people are upgrading to the power of multicore workstations to fuel their creativity,” said Jeff Wood, director, Worldwide Marketing, Workstations, HP. “Customers around the world choose HP workstations for the best in performance and for reliability that adds up to a surprisingly short return on investment.”
Tapping the power of Intel’s newest technologies, the HP Z200 offers dual-core processor options based on the next-generation Intel® processors as well as quad-core processor options based on the enterprise-class Intel Xeon® 3400 series.(2) In addition, the HP Z200 is designed for ease of use and serviceability – with a convertible minitower, tool-less chassis, and convenient FireWire® and USB ports located on the front of the system.
The HP Z200 Workstation includes an 89-percent-efficient power supply, helping reduce overall energy usage and the amount of waste heat released into the environment. The HP Z200 is ENERGY STAR® 5.0 qualified and is registered as Electronics Products Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT®) Gold, the highest rating available.
All HP workstations are more than 90 percent recyclable by weight. In addition, the HP Z200 includes a breakthrough WattSaver feature, which uses less than one watt when the workstation is in powered down mode.
Displays with breakthrough price-performance for demanding visual computing
The HP ZR22w and HP ZR24w displays feature a new brushed aluminum industrial design to make them ideal complements to HP Z Workstations. The displays incorporate super in-plane switching (S-IPS) panel technology and are available in 21.5- and 24-inches diagonal.
S-IPS technology provides a 10 times higher contrast ratio when viewed at a 60-degree angle as compared to mainstream displays – while maintaining prices near those of mainstream business monitors. The displays also deliver 16.7 million colors and up to 97 percent coverage of the sRGB gamut, the standard color space for the web as well as the majority of engineering, creative and professional applications.
Both displays have an 85-percent-efficient power supply and the chassis contain at least 25 percent post-consumer recycled plastics. In addition, the HP ZR22w is ENERGY STAR 5.0 qualified, and both displays feature an eight-way comfort-adjust stand for maximum comfort in height, tilt, swivel and pivot.
Mobile workstations for the power user
Drawing inspiration from aircraft design, the HP EliteBook 8540w and HP EliteBook 8440w are engineered to meet the tough MIL-STD 810G military-standard tests(3) for vibration, dust, humidity, altitude, and high and low temperatures. The sleek, gunmetal anodized-aluminum finish complements a full magnesium alloy chassis to create an incredibly strong case that protects the top and bottom of the notebook against rigorous use.
Anodized aluminum is used on the palm rest area and display cover, bringing significant scratch-resistance improvements including the HP DuraFinish coating for six times more scratch resistance than current notebooks while metal alloy hinges with hardened steel pin axels are designed to withstand extensive use.
Both the HP EliteBook 8540w and HP EliteBook 8440w include an LED-backlit, anti-glare high-definition (HD)(4) display at 15 inches and 14 inches diagonal, respectively. They both feature NVIDIA discrete graphics with ISV certifications and choice of Intel Core™ i7 or future Intel Core processors(2) with Turbo Boost(5) and vPro technology.(6)
The HP EliteBook 8440w is designed for photographers, power users, developers and designers who need entry-level workstation graphics. The HP EliteBook 8540w runs demanding applications and helps users to experience faster rendering capabilities with next-generation graphics, fast hard drives and support for up to 16 gigabytes (GB) of memory.(7)
Other HP EliteBook innovations include HP QuickWeb, which lets users access the web in seconds when the notebook is shut down. HP QuickLook3 allows people to look up and respond to email, calendar and contacts without having to boot the notebook.(8) HP Power Assistant(9) provides total visibility over the notebook PC’s reported power consumption, with tools allowing users to conserve power, stretch battery run time and accurately monitor reported power needs. A spill-resistant keyboard with a drain is also incorporated into the new EliteBooks. Finally, the global positioning system (GPS) uses satellite-based technology to determine 3-D position (latitude, longitude and altitude).(10)
The HP EliteBook 8440w and 8540w are BFR/PVC-free,(11) underscoring HP’s commitment to the environment and to reducing the use of materials of concern. Both HP EliteBook mobile workstations are EPEAT Gold registered and ENERGY STAR 5.0 qualified. Additionally, the HP Long Life Battery(12) will be a configurable option on the new HP EliteBook and HP ProBook b-series notebooks.
Get an HP engineer in every box
With the release of the HP Z200, HP also unveils the HP Performance Advisor software tool, which acts like a personal system engineer to update workstation settings and drivers, help ensure optimal performance, maximize stability and increase overall productivity.
Formerly called the HP Performance Tuning Framework, HP Performance Advisor has been redesigned to provide a more intuitive experience that can help save time and money and increase overall productivity. Performance Advisor is preinstalled on the HP Z200 and ships on all HP workstations and the new mobile workstations at no additional cost.
HD videoconferencing and collaboration exclusively on HP
HP SkyRoom 1.1 is now preloaded on select new HP EliteBook notebooks and HP Z Workstations. Version 1.1 features Microsoft Windows® 7 compatibility and desktop sharing that allows control to be passed to all or one specific participant.
HP SkyRoom is an affordable, HD videoconferencing software(4) that offers live, real-time collaboration for instant face-to-face meetings. Built on HP Video and Image processing engines and four times faster than the blink of an eye,(13) SkyRoom provides seamless hi-fi audio, HD video(4) and high-performance 3-D application sharing.
Pricing and availability(14)
* The HP Z200 workstation starts at $769 and is expected to be available in the United States in February.
* The HP ZR22w and HP ZR24w start at $289 and are expected to be available in the United States in February.
* The HP EliteBook 8540w and 8440w start at $1,299 and $1,499, respectively, and are expected to be available in the United States later this month.
More information about the products, including product specifications and images, is available at www.hp.com/personal.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure to solve customer problems. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com/.
(1) IDC Worldwide Workstation Tracker, November 2009.
(2) Quad Core is designed to improve performance of multithreaded software products and hardware-aware multitasking operating systems and may require appropriate operating system software for full benefit. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing on Intel architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on hardware and software configurations. More information is available at www.intel.com/info/em64t. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
(3) Testing was not intended to demonstrate fitness for U.S. Department of Defense contracts requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions.
(4) High-definition content required to view HD images.
(5) Intel Turbo Boost technology requires a PC with a processor with Intel Turbo Boost capability. Intel Turbo Boost performance varies depending on hardware, software and overall system configuration. More information is available at www.intel.com/technology/turboboost.
(6) Some functionality of this technology, such as Intel Active management technology and Intel Virtualization technology, requires additional third-party software in order to run. Availability of future “virtual appliances” applications for Intel vPro technology is dependent on third-party software providers. Compatibility with future “virtual appliances” and Microsoft Windows Vista® and Windows 7 operating systems is yet to be determined.
(7) Maximum memory capacities assume Windows 64-bit operating systems or Linux. With Windows 32-bit operating systems, memory above 3 GB may not all be available due to system resource requirements.
(8) HP QuickLook 3 and QuickWeb are accessible when the notebook is off in Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7-based systems; not supported from hibernation. Timing may vary depending on the system configuration. To enable the feature following the removal of the battery, reboot the notebook prior to subsequent use. HP QuickLook 3 on HP ProBook s-series requires configuration with Intel and DDR3 or AMD and DDR2. QuickWeb is not available on HP ProBook s-series or HP Minis.
(9) Power calculations and cost calculations are estimates. Results will vary based on variables, which include information provided by the user, time PC is in different power states (on, standby, hibernate, off), time PC is on battery or AC, hardware configuration, variable electricity rates and utilities provider. HP advises customers to use information reported by HP Power Assistant for reference only and to validate impact in their environments. Environmental calculations were based on U.S. EPA eGrid 2007 data found at www.epa.gov/egrid/. Regional results will vary.
(10) GPS access requires an unobstructed path to multiple satellites. Performance may be affected if/when used inside of buildings, bridges or heavily congested metropolitan areas. Requires separately purchased GPS navigation software available from multiple GPS applications.
(11) The HP EliteBooks 8440w and 8540w are brominated flame retardant and polyvinyl chloride-free (BFR/PVC-free), meeting the evolving definition of “BFR/PVC-free” as set forth in the “iNEMI Position Statement on the ‘Definition of Low-Halogen’ Electronics (BFR/CFR/PVC-Free).” Plastic parts contain less than 1,000 ppm (0.1%) of bromine (if the Br source is from BFRs) and less than 1,000 ppm (0.1%) of chlorine (if the Cl source is from CFRs or PVC or PVC copolymers). All printed circuit board (PCB) and substrate laminates contain bromine/chlorine total less than 1,500 ppm (0.15%) with a maximum chlorine of 900 ppm (0.09%) and maximum bromine being 900 ppm (0.09%).
(12) Three-year limited warranty or 1,000 cycles. Battery cycles are the total number of full charge/discharge cycles a battery yields before it can no longer hold a useful amount of charge. More information is available at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00596784. Sold separately or purchased as an optional feature.
(13) Performance dependent on network latency and image frame content.
(14) Estimated U.S. street prices. Actual prices may vary.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.