T-Com and Lucent Technologies Renew Agreements for Optical Transport Network
Lucent to deliver optical equipment, a multi-vendor network management solution and services
CeBIT, 2006, 9 – 15 March
Hall 12, B30
March 08, 2006, HANNOVER, Germany – T-Com, the fixed line business unit of Deutsche Telekom, and Lucent Technologies (NYSE:LU) have renewed their existing agreements for T-Com´s optical transport network. Under the terms of the new agreements – which span a period of two years – Lucent will continue to supply leading-edge optical networking technology from its SDH and DWDM portfolio, will provide upgrades to its multi-vendor network management solution, and services support. The agreements confirm Lucent as one of the principle suppliers of optical networking technology for T-Com’s worldwide optical transmission network.
The new agreements incorporate elements of Lucent´s portfolio including:
* MetropolisŇ AMS and MetropolisŇ AMU access multiplexers from Lucent´s SDH portfolio – equipped with TransLAN™ Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet cards, and in the case of the MetropolisŇ AMS, with SHDSL cards; AMS with its SHDSL card is an accepted solution for T-Com, providing higher bandwidth and the ability to supervise and manage 2 megabits per second (Mbps) copper lines which are used for Ethernet-over-Copper services;
* MetropolisŇ ADM compact / universal – two SDH add/drop multiplexers which perfectly fit T-Com´s needs within the core network by providing STM-1 /-4 /-16 links as well as Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet connections;
* LambdaUnite® MultiService Switch, together with its newly introduced Lower-Order CrossConnect Matrix, enabling signal switching from 10 gigabits (G) down to 2 Mbps;
* WaveStar OLS 800G, a long-haul WDM transmission system;
* Corresponding upgrades of OneVision®, Lucent´s multi-vendor, multi-domain network management solution.
Lucent Worldwide Services will install, implement and maintain the Lucent gear.
“Deutsche Telekom has one of the world´s most innovative optical transport networks and we are pleased that by delivering new technology and further enhancing its network management capabilities, we are keeping it state-of-the-art,” said Andy Williams, president of Lucent Technologies Europe. “In a dynamically changing market, Deutsche Telekom will be ready to facilitate all transport requirements which might evolve in the short- or midterm.”
Overview of technical innovations
The agreements introduce a new product in the access part of the transport network, the Metropolis® AMU, a compact access multiplexer, which is able to connect several STM-4 rings.
In the metro core and backbone network, a Lower-Order CrossConnect Matrix will be added on Lucent’s LambdaUnite® MultiService Switch, enabling the system to additionally switch signals on the 2 Mbps level.
Also, Lucent is updating its WaveStar 800G systems with new G.709 capable transponders. The G.709 standard is a prerequisite to build an OTN network infrastructure, enabling the fully transparent, managed transmission of high-bit-rate traffic from 2.5 G over 10 G to 40 G – from Deutsche Telekom or other network operators – through T-Com´s network. All SDH network elements from Lucent will be equipped with TransLAN™ cards supporting Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet over SDH services.
With the OneVision® software upgrades, T-Com receives a solution providing enhanced operational and functional features for central fault detection and network management of its optical transport network, ranging from the backbone to individual access lines of 2 Mbps near the end-customer.
About Lucent Technologies
Lucent Technologies designs and delivers the systems, services and software that drive next-generation communications networks. Backed by Bell Labs research and development, Lucent uses its strengths in mobility, optical, software, data and voice networking technologies, as well as services, to create new revenue-generating opportunities for its customers, while enabling them to quickly deploy and better manage their networks. Lucent’s customer base includes communications service providers, governments and enterprises worldwide. For more information on Lucent Technologies, which has headquarters in Murray Hill, N.J., USA, visit http://www.lucent.com.
- Contact Information
- Kurt Steinert
- Lucent Technologies
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.