SAS®: Mission Critical for Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
Health insurer saves more than $500,000 the first year; achieves return on SAS® investment in just three months
CARY, NC . – Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (Horizon BCBSNJ) customers are demanding increasingly sophisticated information to manage expenses. To meet the challenging requests, Horizon BCBSNJ turned to SAS, the leader in business analytics, to create utilization and disease management dashboards for its major clients. Using SAS Enterprise BI Server, the health insurer pulls data from multiple sources and creates reports automatically.
Prior to SAS, it took one person two weeks every month to create disease-management utilization reports for each large customer. Just three months after installing SAS, the Informatics Group was delivering automated 14-page disease management and health reports for major customers.
Other important time and money savings:
* A data file consolidation process eliminates 720 hours a year in data reconciliation efforts.
* A simple means of converting existing SAS programs to stored processes speeds information delivery, saving 3,600 hours of work per year.
* The ability to store data in pre-defined OLAP (on-line analytical processing) cubes allows users to access standardized data more quickly for trend reports. This saves 2,304 hours of work a year.
* An intuitive user interface enables Horizon BCBSNJ to produce analytic reports with less training, gaining 400 hours of productivity.
* Microsoft plug-ins and Web delivery support faster communications between the SAS platform and the end user, resulting in savings of 1,199 hours of work a year.
More importantly, the data is more reliable and more readily available internally.
“Our executives see this consolidated and easy-to-understand data as a huge benefit,” said Mike Occhipinti, Manager of Informatics at Horizon BCBSNJ. “Our internal customers love that they can log on and view a customized up-to-date dashboard in 30 seconds or less.”
“The business analytics supplied by the Informatics Group support 70 major corporate projects. Achieving 5 percent more value for just one project can be worth millions. SAS has become absolutely mission critical,’’ added Occhipinti.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.