Turkcell Delivers 3G Data Services with Cisco and Openet
Flexible Charging Solution Deployed to Ensure Scalability as Data Use Grows
ITU, Geneva / ISTANBUL, Turkey .– Cisco and Openet today announced that Turkcell, Turkey’s leading communications and technology company, has deployed a combined solution to provide a flexible charging system for its general packet radio service (GPRS) mobile data network. The joint solution from Cisco and Openet,which went live at mobile operator Turkcell in June 2009, introduces intelligence into the network to enable the real-time packet inspection, rating and billing of individual customers’ mobile data usage. It helps the operator deliver and charge for pre- and post-paid data and next-generation services. As a result, Turkcell, which has a subscriber base of more than 36 million, is able to provide subscribers with several billing options: by application used, for combined services or by data bandwidth consumed.
Key Facts / Highlights:
* Openet’s FusionWorksTM Convergent Charging solution deployed at Turkcell is combined with the following Cisco® technologies:
o Cisco Enhanced Gateway GPRS Support Node (eGGSN), based on the high-performance Service Application Module for IP (SAMI) technology in the Cisco 7600 Series Router;
o Cisco Service Control Engine;
o Cisco Access Register
* This combined solution was selected to help prepare Turkcell for a surge in data traffic from the launch of its 3G network in July 2009.
* The Cisco eGGSN solution provides advanced processing of Internet Protocol (IP) flows for content-aware billing, filtering, management and analysis in a highly scalable, fault-tolerant package. The solution helps Turkcell to deliver personalized mobile data services to its customers.
* Openet’s FusionWorksTM Convergent Charging product verifies the subscriber identity, the type of service and the authorization to use the service; advises on charge and session management; and charges for the service. These capabilities provide the transactional intelligence that Turkcell requires for the accurate delivery of, and charging for, 3G services.
* As a complementary technology with the Service Control Engine, Cisco provides content inspection capabilities that enable Turkcell to control network traffic and monetize subscriber use. Currently, there are servers deployed in Istanbul, with plans to roll out additional servers in Ankara and to augment the existing hardware in Istanbul as more subscribers begin to use Turkcell’s 3G network for data services.
* The joint solution was previously deployed to handle data on Turkcell’s 2G network and was selected for its ability to scale exponentially as 3G data use grows and delivery speeds rise as high as 1,500 transactions per second.customer base consists predominantly of consumers using voice and SMS services.
* The ability to handle real-time GPRS transactions now allows Turkcell to maximize profitability from data services, thereby creating a commercially viable proposition to take to the enterprise market. What’s more, the solution is a 3rd Generation Partnership Project initiative that is IMS-standard-compliant and device-agnostic, so Turkcell can now handle the growing demand for next-generation services such as mobile TV and mobile Internet.
* Cisco Advanced Services provided end-to-end integration, deployment and support services working in close collaboration with Openet.
* Ilker Kuruoz, chief technology officer, Turkcell
“For Turkcell’s 3G launch, we needed a data-charging solution implemented by vendors who were able to bring their international experience in that space to the dynamic Turkish market. The solution developed by Cisco and Openet is a big benefit for Turkcell. It not only provides for today’s needs, but also supports flexible future scenarios. Following the 3G launch, we are pleased to observe the reliability and flexibility of the solution.”
* Hacer Coskun, planning manager, Network Enablers, Turkcell
“While our consumer voice growth was already strong, we needed to provide an equally efficient and profitable data solution to tap into the enterprise market and consumers looking to next-generation services. We chose to work with Openet and Cisco because their combined offering precisely met our requirements for capacity, reliability and flexibility in a real-time charging solution.”
* Philip Hogan, vice president global sales, Openet
“Turkcell has built a hugely profitable business in the GSM market. However, as it began to provide complex, high-value services, it required a solution that could dynamically evaluate usage to create relevant billing models and tariffs that meet the needs of the customer, while still generating revenue for the business. This is doubly important now that Turkcell has launched its 3G network, and that’s where Openet and Cisco come in.”
* Suraj Shetty, vice president, Global Service Provider Marketing, Cisco
“Never before has it been so important for operators to accelerate adoption of personalized mobile data services. With this Mobile Internet solution, we are able to help Turkcell better serve its customers, monetize its next-generation services and increase average revenue per user with differentiated billing.”
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.