Epson Develops High-Speed USB Hub Controller for Automotive Applications
New S2R72A04 has operating temperature range of -40°C to 105°C
– TOKYO, Japan, Seiko Epson Corporation (“Epson”) today announced that it has developed and begun shipping samples of a high-speed USB hub controller for automotive applications.The new IC chip, called the S2R72A04, boasts an operating temperature range from -40°C to 105°C, which is among the best in the industry.
USB is widely used in a wealth of applications, including portable devices, communications modules, and storage devices such as USB memory and hard disk drives. In vehicles, USB is already being used to connect devices such as mobile phones and portable audio players to car navigation systems and similar in-vehicle equipment. In the future, USB connections are expected to find even broader application in vehicles, where they will be used to couple a wide variety of dedicated short-range communication (DSRC) and other devices.
To use USB to connect devices to in-vehicle equipment such as car navigation systems, however, device developers had to find their way around some difficult challenges. For example:
* Adding a USB port to a main IC chip increases costs and package size.
* Using a general-purpose USB controller chip that connects to a local bus necessitates major changes in system architecture, requires extensive software development, and lengthens the development cycle.
* ICs used in automotive applications are not consumer products. They must operate within a wide range of temperatures and must be of automotive quality grade.
The newly developed S2R72A04 is a high-speed USB hub controller for automotive applications. It boasts an operating temperature range of -40°C to 105°C, giving it one of the widest ranges in the industry. Not only is the S2R72A04 automotive quality grade, it does not require any special software. The number of USB ports can quickly and easily be expanded simply by connecting this controller to a USB port on a main IC chip. In addition, the S2R72A04 has a low-power design and is currently undergoing testing for qualification as an AEC-Q100 device. (AEC-Q100 is an industry standard for automotive quality.)
Main features of the S2R72A04
1. Wide operating temperature range
-40°C to 105°C
2. Automotive quality
* Compliance with the AEC-Q100 industry standard (pending)
* High reliability achieved through a variety of quality control methods
o Design methodologies: FMEA, DFT, DFM, EMC, etc.
o Process control: FMEA, SPC, traceability based on special part numbers, etc.
o Testing/screening: WLBI and PKG-BI, PAT, etc.
3. Multi-port support
Upstream port x 1
Downstream port x 4 (high-speed port x 2, full-speed port x 2)
4. Supports the locking in of USB full-speed mode
* The upstream port is locked in USB full-speed mode and can be used as a USB full-speed hub (USB high-speed non-supported hub).
* Can be locked in to USB full-speed even if the destination host supports USB high-speed, which is effective in improving EMI/EMC performance and reducing power consumption
5. Low-voltage operation
LVDD: 1.8 V (internal)
HVDD: 3.3 V (USB)
6. Small package
9 mm x 9 mm, 48-pin QFP
For further information on Epson’s USB controllers, including the S2R72A04, please see the USB user site: http://www.epsondevice.com/support_e/interface/index.html
For sales enquiries, please locate your regional Epson electronic device sales office at:
Epson is a global imaging and innovation leader that is dedicated to exceeding the vision of customers worldwide through its compact, energy-saving, high-precision technologies, with a product lineup ranging from printers and 3LCD projectors for business and the home, to electronic and crystal devices.
Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corporation, the Epson Group comprises over 70,000 employees in 108 companies around the world, and is proud of its ongoing contributions to the global environment and the communities in which it operates. http://www.epson.co.jp/e/
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.