Tips to Prevent Mold Growth from Hurricanes and Floods
EMSL Analytical offers preventive tips and testing solutions for residential and commercial properties threatened by devastating floods and water damage.
Westmont, NJ, August 25th, 2009
Powerful storms recently slammed several Midwestern States causing severe flooding and last week Hurricane Bill threatened the East Coast with strong winds and torrential rains. All of this severe weather is certainly enough to make any property owner concerned about protecting their homes from water damage.
If a severe storm threatens property with water damage there are some basic steps property owners and tenants can perform to minimize the damage and risks. Reacting quickly to water damage can prevent countless future problems and costly repairs.
• Shut off electrical services to areas that may flood to reduce electrocution risk.
• Move as many household items to higher ground or to higher levels within the property.
• If flooding occurs safely remove as much water as possible.
• Once all the standing water is removed consider the fact that water is absorbed and wicked up by many building materials such as wall board.
• Remove wet flooring materials such as carpeting.
• Remove all damaged materials and household possessions that cannot be safely cleaned.
• Set up blowers and fans to assist with the dry-out process.
• Use dehumidification equipment to remove additional moisture from the air.
Avoiding water damage is the best plan, but if flooding does occur at a property be certain to act fast to deal with the moisture as mold begins to grow in as little as 24 to 48 hours. Consider using certified professionals (www.acac.org) with trained staff and proper equipment to ensure your problem is properly solved.
EMSL has been offering testing services following natural and manmade disasters since its inception in 1981. For more information on testing services and products provided by EMSL please call (800) 220-3675, visit www.EMSL.com or email info@EMSL.com.
About EMSL Analytical, Inc.
EMSL Analytical is a nationally recognized and locally focused provider of environmental, food, and materials testing services and products to professionals and the general public. The company has an extensive list of accreditations from leading organizations as well as state and federal regulating bodies.
- Contact Information
- Joe Frasca
- Senior Vice President, Marketing
- EMSL Analytical, Inc.
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.