RIM Launches BlackBerry App World in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Venezuela
Users Able to Easily Discover and Download a Wide Range of Free Applications Directly From Their BlackBerry Smartphone
* Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announces that BlackBerry App World™ is now available to BlackBerry smartphone users in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Venezuela, with more Latin American country launches to follow.*
* The new on-device application store brings together a broad mix of free personal and business applications for Latin American users to discover.
* Users in these countries can download the BlackBerry App World application to their BlackBerry smartphone by visiting www.blackberry.com/appworld or mobile.blackberry.com from their handset.
* BlackBerry App World is designed to automatically present the relevant catalog of applications available for a user’s specific BlackBerry smartphone model.
* Users can conveniently access BlackBerry App World over both Wi-Fi® and cellular networks.
* Users can currently choose to download BlackBerry App World in English or Spanish. A Portuguese version of the client interface is expected to be available later in 2009**.
* BlackBerry App World features currently include:
o Front Page Carousel - BlackBerry App World showcases several applications on its front page carousel, making it easy for users to browse through a select number of featured applications. Featured applications will vary from time to time, helping users discover new applications for practically every aspect of life.
o Top Downloads – The “Top Downloads” area on BlackBerry App World lists applications that are the most downloaded.
o Categories – BlackBerry App World features a variety of application categories. Categories include games, entertainment, IM and social networking, news, weather, productivity and more.
o Search/Filter – BlackBerry App World includes a keyword search with filtering capabilities.
o Reviews – Applications on BlackBerry App World can be reviewed by users and those reviews are reflected in star ratings. Users can easily access and read reviews, see screenshots and read a description of each application before they download it.
o Recommend – BlackBerry App World users can recommend applications to other people through email, PIN, SMS message or BlackBerry® Messenger.
o Application Storage – BlackBerry App World includes a folder called My World, which keeps track of applications the user has downloaded. It is a personal storage space that allows users to uninstall and re-install applications.
o Application Archiving: users can archive applications to a micro SD card or built-in storage memory on their BlackBerry smartphone.
o Update Notifications: Users are notified of updates to applications they’ve downloaded on BlackBerry App World.
* BlackBerry App World in Latin America offers a broad range of free applications today. Purchasable applications will become available for Latin American users at a later date.
“The BlackBerry platform provides a truly unparalleled mobile experience for millions of people and we are thrilled to enhance that experience with a new app store that helps connect consumers with developers and carriers,” said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO. “BlackBerry App World aggregates a wide variety of apps in a way that makes it very easy for consumers to discover and download the apps that suit them while preserving the appropriate IT architecture and controls required by our enterprise customers.”
“BlackBerry App World provides a fantastic new resource for consumers and an equally exciting progression of business opportunities for our developer and carrier partners,” said Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO. “We are launching BlackBerry App World with a solid selection and we look forward to working with our partners to continue delivering the types of apps that best suit our customers’ personalized needs and interests.”
*BlackBerry App World is available for BlackBerry smartphones that include a trackball, touch-sensitive trackpad or touch-screen running BlackBerry device software version 4.2 or higher. Users require an active BlackBerry data service plan to access BlackBerry App World. Data charges may apply for customers that have limited data plans.
** BlackBerry App World is not currently available in Brazilian Portuguese. Not all applications are available in multiple languages. Check individual applications for language support.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.